In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal/runner/movement) veloz(animal/movement/runner) rápidoa swift-flowing river — un río de corriente rápida
- swift-footed — de pies ligeros
- They are swift and speedy, but their style can leave holes to be exploited in the defence.
- Perhaps it was because they knew how to borrow the swift legs of a horse that their own could afford to be slow.
- As one would expect, this is a very swift car, well capable of getting to 60 mph in less than six seconds and with a top speed beyond 150 mph.
- The beast is replaced with a thin, swift reptile that is capable taking sharp corners and hiding inside buildings.
- And with that soft promise playing through my mind I relaxed in Michael's arms and wished our journey back to camp swift speed.
- During the 1st century ad a special courier service with swift horses was set up to bring fresh lychees from Canton north to the imperial court.
- It was a messenger, mounted on a slim and swift chestnut horse.
- Much of the opera is swift moving dialogue, but a distinctive feature is Martinu's insertion of slower moving sections.
- Putting on a swift burst of speed, he dived low and skimmed the waters of a lake.
- White and pale camels are much preferred by the men as mounts, especially those which are swift moving, sleek and pleasant to the eye.
- From the foggy midnight mist came quiet, swift horses, wielding conscienceless armored statues.
- The scouts, on their light, swift horses, were racing ahead, but they wouldn't maintain the gap for long.
- Kathleen turned around to see that in the distance three men on horseback were riding towards her at a frighteningly swift speed.
- Thanks to a swift horse powered by a mysterious elixir, he intercepts Domenico, wounding him mortally.
- Supporters believe emergency drivers should be exempt from speed limits when lives depend on a swift response.
- Seen from the side a battle is a struggle and a rivalry between the sides that use artillery fire, swift maneuvers and lightning strikes.
- At the end of the proceedings, Udom demonstrated his strength for the crowd by walking up to a can and giving it a good swift kick sending it flying off into the air.
- Her eyes quickly made a swift sweep of the people in the room.
- The participants hoped their recommendations would help prompt the state and central governments to take swift action on infrastructure development.
- With his domestic problems and this illness, we all pray for a swift recovery.
- Imagine my utter surprise when he got off his horse in one swift motion and bowed down in front of me!
- Almost as quickly, people began calling for swift action by Baltimore's criminal justice system.
- But following a swift Labour recovery, little has been heard of the pebbledash people.
- Will quickly drew his pistol in a swift wrist motion and shot the man, just like he had seen during duels in many western movies.
- Like Fuller and Guderian, de Gaulle advocated a fully professional army, with an armoured corps capable of swift manoeuvres.
- If Myles is reading this, hope the op went well and wish a swift recovery, looking forward to getting you back on the golf course
- Hopefully being known as ‘Fast’ Eddie DeSoto will enable a swift rise up the greasy Mafia pole. reasons to be cheerful
- His swift action meant speedy help for Janet, who has made a full recovery, and also a bravery nomination for Sam, from Heywood.
- With one swift nod and a quick hand shake, Cannington exited the office The army general was not too sure what to make of this.
- He floored budding chess players with his swift one-liners like the lightening fast moves he makes on the board.
- You take swift decisions and make quick changes when situations are tense and demanding.
- It has turbo technology that commands a swift take-off and has tuned suspensions that were designed for quick and agile moves.
- Crane quickly reached into my coat and in one swift movement stuffed the papers into his pants chuckling at my disgusted look.
- As one of her own television reports might conclude, the attack is bound to prompt Israeli hardliners to demand swift retaliation.
2(reply/reaction/denial) rápidohe was swift to reply / in replying — no tardó en contestar
- he was swift to anger — era propenso a arrebatos de ira
3(short, quick)(phone call/look/visit) rápido
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.