In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
also swimming baths
1piscina cubierta femeninoalberca techada femenino Méxicopileta cubierta femenino Río de la Plata
- I can't remember my first date, I think it was probably at a swimming baths when I was about six (laughs).
- We have also seen closures of public swimming baths and other playing fields have gone the same way.
- The case concerned the free admission to public swimming baths of people of retirement age.
- But at the recent consultation meeting, disabled people told of difficulties they had with public swimming baths.
- The statistics also showed the number of visits to swimming baths and sports centres had fallen by 40 per cent.
- ‘We have just opened a new nursery and have quite a number of young children who don't get the opportunity to go to the swimming baths,’ he said.
- I recently filled in the council's consultation document about leisure facilities at the city's swimming baths.
- This means it is highly unlikely that any work will start on the 98-year-old former public swimming baths until 2006.
- Supporters of the 97-year-old swimming baths were delighted with the turnout at the open day.
- The neglect of our swimming baths in particular is tragic.
- A father of two has vowed never to use his local swimming baths again after his clothes and car keys were stolen from a locker.
- He was also interested in seeing new swimming baths, the development of open spaces and playing fields and many other things for the benefit of the city.
- Local shops, cafes, and even the swimming baths will lose the lunchtime trade that the town hall workers currently provide if the move is successful.
- I'd have to swim 5000 metres, about 200 lengths of most swimming baths.
- We had the plainest of food, our only recreation was playing out in the street, the park, going to the local library and the swimming baths.
- Almost everything councils do will be affected, from changing the coin slots at swimming baths to processing benefits.
- Another says all swimmers should mind their language at the public swimming baths and refrain from ‘polluting’ the water.
- The alleged abductor stole or bought two swimming costumes before they met with two other women at a public swimming baths.
- Over 50 local people gathered for a rally and public meeting last Saturday to defend their local swimming baths from closure.
- Agreed, the swimming baths need to be updated but how nice it would be for money to go to something worthwhile which will benefit the local community.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.