In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1brazo de gitano masculinobrazo de reina masculino Andes(dulce) arrollado masculino Río de la Plata
- Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll, starting from one long side.
- Brush the gaps with beaten egg. Starting with one of these edges, roll up tightly like a Swiss roll.
- Next month's meeting will be held on Tuesday night, June 4 and the competition is for the best homebaked jam-filled Swiss roll.
- The fresh cream pastries include orange and Cointreau pastry, white forest Swiss roll, lemon meringue roulade, tiramisu and coconut mousse cake.
- In a large trifle bowl or individual glasses, place one layer of Swiss roll, sprinkle on rum, spoon custard on top, layer with fruits; repeat until all Swiss roll is used and the last layer is custard and fruit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.