In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yet many of his students were raised in Christian churches or Jewish synagogues.
- Prominent edifices such as historic structures, public buildings, churches, synagogues, and high rises get special treatment.
- A large number of Jewish institutions and synagogues have programs for helping others.
- At the beginning of the first millennium of the Christian era, synagogues were all-purpose buildings for assembly in village and town.
- When the Torah is taken out in the synagogue, the entire congregation must stand as long as it is being carried.
- Multiethnicity is demonstrated by the many churches, synagogues, Hindu temples, and mosques.
- If you are not sure of the Jewish date, contact a synagogue, yeshiva or funeral home and they will surely help you.
- Among the most famous is the story of his disappearance one Yom Kippur from his synagogue.
- In France and elsewhere synagogues were attacked and Jewish gravestones defaced.
- This was familiar territory for him: the synagogues, the religious tradition, and his people coming to hear and be healed by him.
- Haven't churches, synagogues and mosques met the same fate at the hands of vandals?
- Besides his paintings and glass-windows for Roman-Catholic cathedrals and Jewish synagogues, he created a rich plethora of prints.
- The God-centered religion of most synagogues and churches does not inspire the postmodern seeker; she wants to turn inward.
- Marriage is, mostly, a religious ceremony performed in churches/mosques / synagogues based on ancient religious laws.
- So when you go there, you see mosques beside churches, Hindu temples beside Jewish synagogues.
- Almost everywhere there are new churches, mosques, synagogues, and temples springing to life along our vast exurban periphery.
- During the past few years I have been giving workshops on the psychology of prayer at temples, synagogues, and Jewish book fairs nationwide.
- They can't even go to the synagogue to fulfil their religious duties on the Sabbath.
- The old ones tell me there was a Jewish quarter, a synagogue, study halls, and a cemetery.
- The author does not ignore the fact that churches and synagogues are buildings for public worship.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.