In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(piece of furniture)mesa femenino(salt/knife/lamp/wine) de mesadinner's on the table! — ¡la cena está servida!
- he painted the royal family at table — pintó a la familia real sentada a la mesa
- don't do that at the table — no hagas eso en la mesa
- come and sit at / on our table — siéntate con nosotros
- to lay / set the table — poner la mesa
- to clear the table — levantar la mesa
- to book a table for four — reservar una mesa para cuatro
- bridge/billiard table — mesa de bridge/billar
- the terrorists have agreed to come to the negotiating table — los terroristas han aceptado sentarse a la mesa de negociaciones
- on the table
- some new proposals are now on the table — hay nuevas propuestas sobre el tapete
- the offer on the table at the moment is unacceptable — la oferta que han hecho es inaceptable
- to lay sth on the table — proponer algo
- to drink sb under the table
- she can drink you under the table — te da cien mil vueltas bebiendo
- one glass of sherry and I'm under the table! — una copa de jerez y ya no me tengo en pie
- to turn the tables
- the tables are turned — se ha vuelto la tortilla
- they managed to turn the tables on their adversaries — lograron volverles las tornas a sus adversarios
- she then turned the tables on the interviewer — entonces empezó ella a hacerle preguntas al entrevistador
- table dancing — striptease o baile erótico realizado sobre o junto a una mesa
- his table manners leave a lot to be desired — sus modales en la mesa dejan mucho que desear
- I sat at an empty table in the corner, sunglasses still on.
- Mike leaned back in a folding chair behind a small round table in the corner.
- He made occasional furniture pieces such as tables and chairs, as well as picture frames.
- She looked up as Rachel arrived back at the table, holding a piece of paper in her hands.
- We got one loaf ourselves, and had one piece at a table right outside of the bakery.
- He washed dishes and set the tables at a restaurant when he was a junior university student.
- Buffy came back up in a fighting stance holding a splintered piece of the table out in front of her.
- The woodwork in the show includes large furniture items like tables, benches and screens as well as plates, letters openers and wine corkstoppers.
- Usually four students are placed at a large table, or four individual tables or desks pushed together.
- Also in the room was a table with chairs and two small dressers.
- His eyes glittered as we approached the table laden with creams, cakes, pies, and other delectable delicacies.
- Eventually, she resolved to hold her wrist down to the table so that her writing would be legible.
- I'll ask them to reserve the table next to us, if you want.
- There was a large marble table in the middle, surrounded by ten chairs.
- Around the edges of the room were pieces of furniture like tables and a few chairs.
- You can use standard outdoor furniture or built-in tables and chairs, or carry pieces from inside the house for special occasions.
- In the middle of each room was a low table with a vase of fresh flowers on it.
- Finally reaching an empty table by the window, she sat down hastily.
- Dropping her spoon with a clatter, Hope reached across the table to take the piece of paper from her sister.
- We were crowded around a single, circular lunch table in the cafeteria.
1.2under the table — bajo cuerda
- he was paid $10,000 under the table — le pagaron 10.000 dólares bajo cuerda / bajo mano
- before noun under-the-table — bajo mano
1.3(people seated at table)mesa femenino
- Some tables kept looking at me, for some reason, maybe it was my head.
- After he left we discovered that he had insisted on paying for the meal for the whole table.
- Everyone at the table seemed to instantly get up, and soon other tables followed suit.
- In the end, the table settled on getting a jug of red lemonade and a jug of water.
2.1(list)tabla femeninomultiplication / times tables — tablas de multiplicar
- the four-/ten-times table — la tabla del cuatro/diez
- table of contents — (of book) índice de materias
- It leaves the league wide open at both ends of the table and a win next week for the Dalesmen is vital.
- But the result will satisfy neither side as they remain in the lower regions of the table with all their rivals still to play today.
- Indeed another win tomorrow and defeat for Selby could see Railway leapfrog their North Yorkshire rivals in the table.
- Only two of the next fifteen league matches are against teams above Liverpool in the table.
- They filled five of the top ten positions in the championship table.
- Half way up the table would be an excellent season taking into account the team and resources.
- That said, Barnsley, rooted in the bottom half of the table, fully deserved a victory.
- Eventually they were reeled in by the bigger teams but finished very creditably in the top quarter of the table.
- At the time when he was forced into suspension United sat top of the table, with the best defensive record in the league.
- Reds have lost their opening three Super League games and are at the foot of the table.
- Hibs, even in defeat, will still believe they are capable of retaining their second position in the table.
- Since then they have won ten of their last 11 league games to finish a creditable fourth in the final table.
- Rotherham were understandably delighted as the final whistle sealed their position on top of the table.
- With pounds for places in the Premiership, each move up the table is worth half a million pounds.
- Then again, when has the table had any relevance on this topsy-turvy league?
- If the game does go ahead Harrogate could go top of the table as their main rivals are involved in the Tetley's Bitter Cup.
- Gargrave have made it six wins from seven starts in the Craven Football League to stay at the head of the table.
- This result took Burley to the top of the table, a position they strengthened further with a win at Menston on Monday.
- So, apart from pushing for a more respectable position in the table, it is to the cup competitions that he is looking for salvation.
- Their current position in the table is a testament to the kind of hard work, patience and stability that is very rare in football nowadays.
2.2league tableBritishliga femeninoclasificación femenino
(tablet)the tables of the law — las tablas de la ley
1EEUU(postpone)(debate/bill) posponer(debate/bill) diferir(bill/debate) postergar América Latina
3(list)(data) presentar en forma de tabla(data) tabular
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.