In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now as an adult, I've learned to sew, creating pillowcases, tablecloths and various other household items.
- When he drips it on the tablecloth, he wipes it up quickly and professionally.
- A country or colonial themed room can be dressed with items such as handmade quilts and tablecloths, earthenware pottery, and ‘folk art’ style paintings.
- They make their own clothing, bedding, tablecloths, floor coverings, and items for religious use.
- Make kitchen towels or table runners out of soiled tablecloths and towels.
- Placemats on the tablecloths and linen napkins complete the picture.
- This typically involves lining up bottles on a table with a white surface or a covering such as a tablecloth or sheet.
- The tablecloths are linen, as are the napkins, and the cutlery and glassware are of high standard.
- Meals were served on china on white tablecloths, changed at each seating.
- Inside is a roaring open fire where bread is toasted and meat grilled, surrounded by tables laid with traditional red and white tablecloths and set with traditional brown ceramic dishes.
- The tables have good quality tablecloths and embroidered linen napkins, matching up with good quality cutlery and comfortable cushioned cane chairs.
- Her deft hands fashioned countless beautiful things, from colourful quilts to crocheted tablecloths.
- I turned to Theo to apologize and was horrified to discover him weeping into a corner of the linen tablecloth.
- She drops the turkey on the floor, uses a bed sheet as a tablecloth, and attempts to mash uncooked potatoes.
- If you choose a cloth with a pattern, make sure that in the tablecloth, napkins, and place mats, you don't have too many conflicting patterns.
- Colin followed Monica down the hallway and into a yellow kitchen with light blue draperies and tablecloths and white counters.
- By the time you got to the train, the bows were so enormous that just one of them alone could have served as a tablecloth or bed sheet.
- Now, if you are looking for white linen tablecloths and lavish meals served on fine china, you won't find it in discount business class.
- Upon each table are fine demonstrations of fine Swedish table linen-from the tablecloths to the napkins.
- The tables are all covered with thick starched linen tablecloths, the glasses are top quality and huge, and the normal veritable army of service personnel are in attendance to push the awaiting chair under the bottom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.