In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(utensil)cuchara grande femeninocuchara de servir femenino
- One can play metal teaspoons, tablespoons, soup spoons, and wooden spoons.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the batter into the pan to form small pancakes and sauté on both sides until golden brown.
- Spoons, usually a single tablespoon, are or were owned by a significant number of New England churches.
2(measure)cucharada (grande) femenino
- Off the heat, add a pat of butter and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
- When the water is boiling, put several tablespoons of salt in before you add the pasta.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt two tablespoons butter.
- Add one tablespoon of oil and stir to coat.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the chicken mixture and push a hollow in it with your thumb.
- Combine one cup of shredded red cabbage and three tablespoons of fat-free mayonnaise.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining three tablespoons of flour and the nutmeg.
- In a large wok or frying pan heat two tablespoons of oil until smoking.
- Roll each ball and put in a tablespoon of the filling.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of the fish mixture on each tortilla chip; top each with a cilantro leaf.
- I take two tablespoons of flaxseed oil every day for the essential fatty acids.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, wine, or lemon juice and scrape the bottom.
- Spread the beef slices out on a worktop and spoon a heaped tablespoon of filling into the centre of each.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill.
- Reserve four tablespoons of the fig syrup for the garnish.
- Add one tablespoon of butter and sear the veal on the other side.
- Next, stir in beef and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Spoon a generous heaping tablespoon of the chocolate batter into each muffin cup.
- Have a heaping tablespoon of ground seeds a day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.