In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Promotion of Volunteering Bill has even gained the tacit support of the government.
- Surely they own the site so must have given their tacit agreement before things got this far?
- It did so, first by claiming the right, and then by seeking the express or tacit support of other countries.
- There is tacit recognition of this fact within government circles.
- The informal system consists largely in tacit agreements and understandings.
- What goes on in these nations therefore occurs with tacit approval of Western nations.
- The tacit admission reinforces the grimmest lesson of the American atrocities.
- Will they ever come to terms with what was done in their names and, for the most part, with their tacit approval?
- At a recent meeting, the Minister indicated his tacit support for such a model.
- It was a tacit condoning of torture, brutality and summary execution.
- In some states tacit agreements may strengthen the majorities of each party in its own constituencies.
- Part of the tacit deal, on the evidence of yesterday's speech, is that he goes soft on Labour.
- It is submitted that this represented no more than a tacit understanding between staff members.
- Such rituals enable people to conduct business via tacit understandings.
- The two main parties have become a cartel, operating a tacit understanding not to broach any important issue.
- His continued tacit approval of the coalition is essential to its success.
- The tacit understanding is that whatever else happens inside is a matter between consenting adults.
- We agree to pay based on the tacit agreement that other necessities remain reasonable.
- Even in conservative Hong Kong, there was a sense of tacit support and envy.
- No regime can rule by force alone - they usually rule by consent, whether tacit or explicit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.