In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) de mucho tacto(person) diplomático(question/reply) diplomáticothat wasn't very tactful of him — en eso demostró tener muy poco tacto
- These are the questions at the centre of the author's tactful, patient investigations.
- If you want to be kind, courteous, gracious and civil, and tactful, God bless you.
- You're graceful, poised, tactful and exude quite a refined, princess-like presence.
- I want to ask him about it, but can't think of a tactful way of doing it.
- So it would appear that from now on I am going to have to be more tactful and diplomatic in my meanderings.
- The issue was not broached in the most articulate or tactful manner, but it did generate quite a bit of discussion on our opinion pages.
- Donna may feel conflicted between being tactful and being direct.
- He must be dignified, he must be tactful and considerate of feelings and of every living creature he sees.
- I'm not sure I could be as tactful about the whole thing as he is, but when it comes down to it, I guess free speech is what we fight for.
- His political opinions were on the Right, but he was tactful in not voicing them in the presence of people he knew to be of a different inclination.
- Maxwell was apparently tired of the tactful, diplomatic route Ralph was always preaching to him.
- Be a catalyst for change by letting your actions and voices be heard in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Thus, it is crucial that one be tactful and select his words wisely.
- Do you have suggestions on how to handle the power balance or for tactful ways to request what I want?
- The agent was one of the most tactful and discreet people that I have ever met in my life.
- The tactful use of his skills and a clear understanding of the game have made this young man an instant favourite with the crowds in an alien land.
- Some people are going to be disappointed, so I have been as tactful and constructive as possible.
- On my way from the lobby I had been musing over a tactful way to approach the interview.
- Janice, being the tactful veterinarian that I have grown to admire, calmly explained the situation to me in practical terms.
- Clint and his team were most tactful in giving advice on tactics and fish handling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.