In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1coletilla interrogativa femenino
- The most common form of tag question is one where a positive statement is followed by a negative tag or a negative statement by a positive tag.
- Verbal behaviors related to these descriptors include the presence of politeness markers, tag questions, verbal hedging, euphemistic and supportive-responsive speech, inclusive reference, and indirect speech.
- Robin Lakoff's 1975 account of English tag questions, based on her introspective judgments, was that such tags ‘are associated with a desire for confirmation or approval which signals a lack of self-confidence in the speaker.’
- Out of a number of studies done between 1976 and 1980 on tag questions, six found that women used more tag questions than men, while five found that men used more than women.
- We use tag questions when we are already sure of the answer and just want confirmation (falling intonation with the tag question).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.