In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He is openly weary of discussing his adoption and complains that the last journalist he spoke to wouldn't talk about anything else.
- We talked about personal beliefs and embarrassing moments.
- She's not speaking to him and he's not talking to her and they haven't spoken for years.
- She was always strangely content to focus on her job, never talking about her personal life.
- For example, to claim a right to free speech is to talk nonsense as nobody really has such a total right.
- While no one likes to face this possibility, it's not a bad idea to talk about caring options before they become a necessity.
- When I get home I speak to my wife and we don't talk about football.
- He talks at great length about architecture.
- With these ideas out of the window, what is there to talk about?
- He talked in his speech about the abuse of power by the executive.
- Even as we talked, the unreliable power supply was affecting the lighting.
- Why are they not talking about putting the power back on and getting the sewage out of the streets.
- She talks at a rate of knots, but is charm personified.
- Throughout his speech, the minister talked about culture as an instrument for social improvement.
- As well as stopping and talking to people on the street we also spent a lot of time checking under bridges and talking with the homeless there.
- As might be expected, he does not clearly express his stance even though he talks about the power of the presidency.
- Schools may not provide enough information for young girls but friends talk about sex amongst each other, they know what happens.
- Nobody can accuse him of not finding the time to talk to whoever wants to speak to him.
- For Arius, it was logically possible to talk about God without talking of him as Father.
- However, since I was so relieved to be talking to someone, I started talking with her friend.
1.2(doll) que habla(newspaper/book) grabadotalking picture — película sonora femenino
- He can only use his right hand and finds talking difficult as his speech is impaired.
- He talks, but his speech has not developed at the rate it should.
2hablarhablarplaticar América Central Méxicoplaticar con algn América Central Méxicoto talk in English/in a whisper — hablar en inglés/en susurros
- she talks very fast/with a French accent — habla muy rápido/con acento francés
- we talked on the phone — hablamos por teléfono
- everyone stopped talking — todo el mundo se calló
- stop talking! — ¡silencio!
- don't talk with your mouth full! — ¡no hables con la boca llena!
- he never stops talking — no para de hablar
- they talked and talked — hablaron largo y tendido
- you'd think she was a monster the way they talk — oyéndolos a ellos, cualquiera diría que es un monstruo
- I wish he were dead! — you shouldn't talk like that! — ¡ojalá se muriera! — ¡no digas eso!
- to talk about sb/sth — hablar de algn/algo
- to talk of sth — hablar de algo
- to talk to sb
- to talk with sb — hablar con algn
- we talked about you/the weather — hablamos de ti/del tiempo
- he doesn't know what he's talking about — no sabe lo que dice
- the year's most talked-about event — el acontecimiento más comentado del año
- you ate it all? talk about greedy! — ¿te lo comiste todo? ¡hay que ser glotón!
- for a basic kit you're talking about $900 — para un equipo básico hay que pensar en unos 900 dólares
- she's talking of retiring next year — está hablando de jubilarse el año que viene
- talking of food, when's dinner? — hablando de comida / a propósito de comida ¿a qué hora se cena?
- the much talked-of project has come to nothing — el proyecto del que tanto se ha hablado ha quedado en agua de borrajas
- are you talking to me ? — ¿me hablas a mí?
- I wasn't talking to you — yo no estaba hablando contigo / no te estaba hablando a ti
- who was that you were talking to? — ¿con quién hablabas?
- don't talk to me about buses! — ¡me vas a decir a mí lo que son los autobuses!
- aren't you two talking to each other? — ¿ustedes no se hablan?
- he wanted someone to talk to — necesitaba a alguien con quien hablar
- to talk to oneself — hablar solo
- I was only talking to myself — estaba hablando solo
- he was talking at rather than to us — se estaba escuchando a sí mismo, más que hablando con nosotros
- they talked right past each other — hablaron sin entenderse
- to get talking — ponerse a hablar
- how did you get talking to / with him? — ¿cómo fue que entablaste conversación / que te pusiste a hablar con él?
- she kept him talking while I escaped — ella lo entretuvo hablando mientras yo me escapé
- they talked away for hours — estuvieron horas charlando
- they talk in millions of dollars — hablan de millones de dólares
- don't talk daft! — ¡no digas bobadas!
- to talk dirty / filthy — decir vulgaridades
- it's easy for you to talk! — ¡es fácil decirlo / hablar!
- you're just lazy! — you can talk! / you can't talk! / look who's talking! — ¡es que eres un vago! — ¡mira quién habla!
- now you're talking! — ¡así se habla!
- money talks — poderoso caballero es don dinero
3.1(have discussion)hablaris there somewhere we can talk? — ¿podemos hablar en privado?
- we've got to talk — tenemos que hablar
- I'm always here if you want to talk — si necesitas hablar con alguien, aquí estoy
- the two sides are ready to talk — las dos partes están dispuestas a negociar
- to talk about sth
- we have to talk about dates — tenemos que discutir posibles fechas
- they refuse to talk about sovereignty — se niegan a entrar en negociaciones sobre soberanía
- North End confirmed they were talking to players, but refused to name names.
- We want them to talk to each other in addition to their governments talking.
3.2(give talk)hablardar una charlato talk about / on sth — hablar de/sobre algo
3.3(gossip)hablarpeople will talk — va a dar mucho que hablar
- you know how she talks — ya sabes cómo le gusta hablar
- you can't stop people talking — no se puede evitar que la gente haga comentarios
- These long ago promised chairs have had the whole office talking for weeks now.
- She's the bride-to-be who's got the whole country talking about her cold feet.
- He always was a big name here in New York, but now the whole country's talking about him.
3.4(reveal secret)hablarto make sb talk — hacer hablar a algn
- Multinationals will go to any lengths to keep their employees from talking, we can reveal.
- Some talked and sold their secrets for their lives.
1coloquial(speak)they were talking Italian — hablaban (en) italiano
- to talk golf/economics — hablar de golf/economía
- we're talking big money here — estamos hablando de mucho dinero
- don't talk nonsense! — ¡no digas tonterías!
2(argue, persuade)to talk sb into / out of sth/ -ing — convencer a algn de que / de que no + subj
- he talked me into doing it — me convenció de que lo hiciera
- see if you can talk her out of it! — a ver si puedes convencerla de que no lo haga
- to talk one's way / oneself into/out of sth
- she had to talk her way out of trouble — tuvo que usar mucha labia para salir del aprieto
- he talked himself into a corner — se metió en aprietos / en un lío por hablar
- she talked herself into the job — habló tan bien que le dieron el trabajo
1(conversation)conversación femeninoI gathered very little from my talk with her — saqué muy poco en limpio de mi conversación con ella
- it's time we had a little talk — ya es hora de que hablemos seriamente
- I had a long talk with him — estuve platicando un rato largo con él
2(lecture)charla femeninoto give a talk about / on sth — dar una charla sobre algo
3(negotiations)conversacionesnegociacionesto have / hold talks — mantener / sostener conversaciones
- the two leaders met for talks — los dos líderes se reunieron para dialogar
4(suggestion, rumor)there is talk of his retiring — se habla de que / corre la voz de que se va a jubilar
- there was even talk of … — llegó incluso a hablarse de …
- it was the talk of the town — no se hablaba más que de eso
5coloquial, despectivo(words)palabrería femenino coloquial despectivopalabrasit's just talk! — es pura palabrería coloquial despectivo
- you get nothing but talk from him! — habla mucho pero luego nada
- all that talk about making me a star! — ¡tanto hablar de que me iban a convertir en una estrella!
- to be all talk (and no action) — hablar mucho y no hacer nada
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.