In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The classic Indian meal is a madcap, group event, with crispy bhajis to nibble before your tandoori arrives, and pillows of basmati rice to leaven the scorching lamb vindaloo when it gets too hot.
- But the pervasive smell is the rich charred aroma of tandoori and creamy tikka masala rather than cheap liquor and urine.
- Traditional classics such as tandoori, balti, korma, pathia, dopiaza, madras and bhuna curries were there, along with a decent choice of chef's specials, and, I was pleased to see, no puddings.
- There is tandoori on the menu, but it is pigeon with black lentil sauce, or swordfish with Rajastan sauce.
- We also munched our way through the blackened salmon tandoori, a succulent Balbir staple.
- The chicken tandoori combines chicken with Indian-style vegetable rice.
- We all tucked in to our dishes of fish, and although the salmon tandoori was probably a touch overcooked, the red snapper was glorious.
- Of course, this would work beautifully with other spice rubs and mixes too, including tandoori and curry.
- In just two minutes, a lovely curry is ready to be had with rotis, tandoori or rumali and naan.
- We like the food too: spicy samosas, tandoori and Thai chicken.
- This Indian restaurant offers a tasty selection of tandoori and curries.
- At a typical Indian meal, with its array of curries and tandoori, dals (bean and lentil sides), breads and basmati rice dishes, spicy heat is played against cooler flavors, creating food with both physical and psychological effects.
- Fish tandoori is served with stuffed aubergines in tomato sauce.
- The restaurant's menu is vast, featuring traditional dishes of every kind including balti, tandoori, biryani, korma, bhuna, rogan josh - and even English dishes.
- Jalpari Chaat tandoori (prawn and scallops, with mint, and grapes) is a fusion of Mediterranean and Indian influences, and they have quite a few dishes that would straddle that.
- Both nation's cuisines are well covered, and you'll be able to find a range of rendangs, sambals, satay and roti as well as kormas, masalas, tandoori and naan.
- Small and sleek, it offers exceptional sushi and sashimi, plus specialities such as swordfish tandoori and calamari stuffed with curried couscous.
- Named after the president, who had eaten there, our entrée was a savory feast of leg of lamb, chicken tandoori, dal, and nan.
- The situation was not helped by the constant stream of Indian food, curry, balti, tandoori, pappadum and raitha poured down the traumatised gullet of the elderly Bostonian lady on seat 27C by the flight attendants.
- These included chicken tikka, Chinese chicken and chicken tandoori, each in a wrap.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.