In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculino tapizfemenino tela de tapiceríait's all part of life's rich tapestry — ¡son cosas de la vida!
- His house was decorated with paintings, tapestries, and family pictures.
- One other area of textile work worthy of note is that of tapestry and embroidery.
- She embroiders clothes, makes tapestries, and weaves.
- No paintings here, instead the walls were decorated with ornate tapestries featuring geometric designs that could almost have been old Celtic.
- Framed pictures and tapestries lined every hallway they passed.
- She was a very keen gardener and flowers and plants feature in the Elizabethan needlework and tapestries in the house.
- The tower was burning, quickly spreading to other parts of the castle which were richly furnished with wooden furniture, silk tapestries and oil paintings.
- The walls were coated with cobwebs and blanketed with old tapestries.
- Every room, stairwell and recess jostles with eye-catching objects, pictures, furniture, tapestries.
- In 1533 the Dermoyen tapestry firm dispatched a team of weavers and merchants to Istanbul to design tapestries for the sultan.
- The Tajik style of tapestries typically has floral designs on silk or cotton and is made on a tambour frame.
- She sat down at her loom, working quickly on the tapestry she was weaving.
- From 1977 on the work she exhibited included both large pieces of tapestry weaving and finely woven braids.
- On the walls, there were thick tapestries made of expensive fabrics, and old pictures painted in glory.
- Her range of work includes hand-woven tapestry, wall hangings, framed tapestries, hand-woven bags and belts.
- The walls had excellently crafted tapestries that must have been precious family heirlooms from the look of them.
- Brightly colored fabric and large tapestries lined all the walls except for the one directly in front of the doors.
- Later, the artist went through periods of making tapestry and large-scale textile works.
- It was high-ceilinged and raftered with white stone set with gems, and on the walls were hung tapestries of gold thread.
- The tapestry is woven in wool on linen warps and contains details in silk, gold and silver.
1.2(art form)tapicería femeninobefore noun tapestry hangings — tapices
2(needlepoint)bordado en cañamazo masculino(wool) de bordartapestry frame — bastidor masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.