In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tapir masculinodanta femenino América Latinadanto masculino América Central
- Panama is angling to be the next Costa Rica, with nearly 6,000 square miles of public lands and a wildlife population (jaguars, tapirs, giant sea turtles, sloths) that'll make any tropical nation green with envy.
- All young tapirs are born, however, with a pattern of dots and stripes on their body which makes them appear, in the words of one zoologist, like ‘watermelons with legs.’
- Only 7 percent remains of the original 400,000-square-mile forest, home to hundreds of species of trees and animals like tapirs, jaguars and the rare marsh antbird.
- Passing tigers, rhinos, tapirs, deer and other animals triggered the shutter by tripping infrared sensors.
- Black caracaras have a mutualistic relationship with tapirs.
- The dry season (May through October) finds the Pantanal at its most pleasant: no flooding, cool temperatures, and big beasts such as tapirs, capybaras, and caimans clustered around water holes.
- The Macal River Valley in Belize is home to three-toed tapirs, elusive jaguars, and a rare subspecies of scarlet macaw.
- This cloud forest is home to the elusive tapir and jaguar, as well as one of nature's most beautiful birds, the resplendent quetzal.
- Apart from those already mentioned there are zebras, camels, baboons, lemurs, sea lions, humboldt penguins, tapirs and meerkats.
- One of Sumatra's single largest remaining blocks of lowland forest, Tesso Nilo is also home to a wide range of wildlife, including elephants, tigers, gibbons and tapirs.
- When moving, the Malayan tapir walks slowly with its head down, which probably allows it to pick up the scents of other tapirs.
- The exhibit will highlight the jaguar but also will feature golden lion tamarins, tapirs, anteaters and other animals.
- This destruction of the rain forests threatens many endangered species including tigers, elephants, orang-utans, Sumatran rhinos, and tapirs, as well as hundreds of species of birds, plants and insects.
- The dam would flood the Macal River valley - a so-called ‘Biogem’ of rain forest and fertile flood plain that is home to many endangered species like the howler monkey, jaguar, and tapir.
- In the event that it decides to develop the area, there will be serious risks to the health and long-term survival of the region which is home to jaguars, pumas, tapirs and many more endangered species.
- Folksy handwritten signs introduce visitors to each resident, including April, a tapir, also known as a mountain cow or, as our guide described her, "a cross between a rhinoceros and a horse."
- During the day, various treks are offered into the jungle, though I suspect the chances of actually seeing a tapir or a jaguar are as slim as a hummingbird's beak.
- The Asháninka also keep and eat chickens and their eggs, and they hunt tapirs, boars, and monkeys.
- The trail will focus on countries such as Indonesia, Brazil Madagascar (the natural habitats of Dublin Zoo's Sumatran tiger cub, Ratna, the Brazilian tapir and ring-tailed lemurs).
- The island is refuge to various species of birds and mammals, including the elusive tapir and five monkey species.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.