In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The real breakthrough in lifter design for street and moderate competition applications was the marriage of roller tappets with hydraulic lifters.
- Contact between the cams and the tappets in the valve train span the mixed and boundary regions.
- The 16-valve has twin, chain-driven, overhead camshafts and hydraulic tappets, while the 8-valve format uses a single camshaft.
- Very small roller cam followers are installed in the cylinder head to operate the valves instead of the conventional bucket-type tappets, and here friction is cut by about 70 per cent.
- The barrier valve furthermore has a tappet, which engages the support body and is movable relative to the armature and carries a closing body of a seat valve.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.