In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1encaje de lanzadera masculino
- Despite her failing eyesight she made prodigious amounts of lace tatting for her clothes, and for family and friends.
- She decided to eke out a livelihood with what was once her favourite pastime, tatting.
- The inspiration for Lalie Douglas's newest work, Frivolité, came from a 1753 painting by Louis Tocqué that hangs in the Louvre showing a woman making a type of knotted lace called tatting.
- She's begun adding unique touches of tatting or crocheting or ribbon work.
- The tatting on each edge was simply an effect of elegance and care.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.