- This area is a good example of the interplay of tectonic and magmatic processes.
- Even in fairly recent history the theory of tectonic plates beneath the earth's crust was discounted and scorned before it could eventually be proven.
- In these zones one section of the Earth's crust, called a tectonic plate, moves over or under another.
- Geologists have long studied mountains for clues to Earth's tectonic history.
- In this paper, we discuss the tectonic settings and magmatic processes which allow these magmas to reach the surface.