In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her birthday brought her a third telemessage from the Queen.
- Allowances are also provided for ‘telemessages’ which replaced the old telegram system.
- The equipment is arranged to print out the telemessages on a printout medium.
- The Royal Household took the opportunity presented by the changed format to create a special card in which the telemessage would be inserted.
- I can't honestly say that I would have considered use of telemessages prior to our emails.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.