In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The marinade is used only to add flavor and tenderize.
- There is some debate as to whether or not marinades actually tenderize meat.
- We need to use a special type of vinegar to tenderise the meat.
- Aging tenderizes beef naturally.
- Meat and poultry can be marinated for several hours or days to tenderize or add flavor.
- Long, slow cooking is the only way to tenderise these cuts.
- The juices and sauce will help tenderize and flavour the meat.
- Long, slow cooking tenderises tougher cuts, making them melt in the mouth.
- With a meat mallet, pound chicken to tenderize.
- Cure the shrimp briefly in salt and sugar to tenderize and flavorize.
- If you've selected pork, beef, chicken or turkey, it's important to tenderize it.
- To get the steak ready, lay it between two sheets of plastic wrap and tenderize it by pounding it flat with a meat mallet.
- The acid will help kill any bacteria lurking in the meat and will tenderize tougher cuts.
- Marinating does two things: it tenderizes the meat and it adds flavour.
- I like my birds hung overnight (hanging tenderises the meat).
- The meat is tenderized and then marinated in a sauce made of sugar, soy sauce and the secret ingredient of the day.
- The marinade of cornflour, sesame oil and rice wine or dry sherry tenderises the meat and supplies a thickening agent for the sauce.
- Restaurants often coat meat in cornstarch, which tenderizes it, before cooking.
- Cooking in liquid for lengthy periods works best for tenderizing these cuts.
- To tenderize, the marinade must include an acidic ingredient, like lemon juice, vinegar or wine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.