In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1globo terráqueo masculinoglobo terrestre masculino
- Although his illuminated books were praised, he is now best known for his print publishing and the Erdapfel (1491-2; Nuremberg, Germanisches Nationalmus.), the oldest extant terrestrial globe, which he painted with his wife.
- Schall, during a period of Chinese captivity, returned to Korea with numerous Chinese translations of Western writings as well as terrestrial globes and astronomical charts.
- In 1562 he was asked by Cosimo I de’ Medici, the second duke of Florence, to prepare maps and a huge terrestrial globe which is still preserved.
- They constructed a terrestrial globe in 1536, and they constructed a celestial globe in the following year.
- The one shown in Plate XIII includes a number of books and writing implements as well as an atlas, terrestrial globe, and navigational instruments.
- On a shelf under the tabletop there are musical instruments, a terrestrial globe and open - and legible - books of music and arithmetic.
- The altar, on which are placed a celestial and a terrestrial globe, is in the form of the sun.
- As I later learned, others in the hinterlands also tried to make globes; New Hampshire shoemaker, surveyor, and farmer Samuel Lane, for example, made his own idiosyncratic version of a terrestrial globe around 1760.
- Vermonters were likely proud to possess one of Wilson's impressive terrestrial globes.
- The earliest known terrestrial globe was built in 1490-92, on the eve of the European ocean voyages of discovery and colonization.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.