In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acción de gracias femenino
- They receive blessings and joys with acceptance and thanksgiving, and put them to use in beneficial ways.
- This form of thanksgiving is not confined to spiritual devotion and verbal expressions.
- He was thrilled and ordered that special prayer services of thanksgiving be held that night.
- Her life was celebrated with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Parish Church, Burley in Wharfedale.
- It is specifically meant to be a sort of thanksgiving for goddess Lakshmi after the harvest.
- Alas, there is too much complaining and too little thanksgiving among the people of God!
- Some mouthed silent words of thanksgiving while others joyfully praised the God of creation.
- For a Muslim Eid is a day of thanksgiving, sharing foods with the neighbours and the poor.
- A service of thanksgiving was held at St Edward's Church last Saturday.
- A service of thanksgiving for the life of a much-loved vicar took place on Saturday.
- It is celebrated by Chinese all over the world as a family affair, a time of reunion and thanksgiving.
- Friends and supporters of the hospice will be at its annual service of thanksgiving on Sunday.
- It was a day of thanksgiving, and many expressed their appreciation for the help received from Alun and Margaret over many years.
- Dogs, cats, gerbils and guinea pigs joined the congregation for a ceremony of hymns, readings and thanksgiving.
- A service of thanksgiving for his life will take place later in the year.
- The morning began with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Church in New Park Street.
- These are prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of praise, and prayers that ask for things.
- Miriam and Dermot sang in the local choir, always delighting in singing songs of praise and thanksgiving.
- At 6.30 pm there will be an ecumenical service of thanksgiving for the Flower Festival.
- Our goal is to present ourselves to God with joy and thanksgiving at the start of each day.
2Thanksgiving" or "Thanksgiving Day(in US)(que conmemora la primera cosecha de los Pilgrim Fathers - the Pilgrim Fathers) el día de Acción de Gracias
- They had a bottle of French wine on the fourth of July and at Thanksgiving, but that was about it.
- Well, it is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada and as such, we have the day off!
- Come to our Thanksgiving Party on Thanksgiving Day starting around 1 or 2pm.
- At the end of 1980, he took his first day off for months to celebrate Thanksgiving Day.
- And this, as you well know, Dana, is a president who spent Thanksgiving Day with U.S. troops in Baghdad.
- It's the second Monday in October or Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
- And during his Thanksgiving Day address to the troops in Baghdad, he paid tribute to their fallen comrades.
- We tell each other this story and make our children perform it for our sacred holidays - Thanksgiving Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday.
- On the eve of November's Thanksgiving holiday, the couple announced they had separated.
- President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November to be Thanksgiving Day.
- Christmas and in fact holidays in general are supposed to be happy occasions, a bit like Thanksgiving Day last week, America's favourite holiday.
- Usually tradition plays a role in what will be served at Thanksgiving dinner.
- Coming up to Thanksgiving in America, the Americans wanted to celebrate the occasion.
- Pauline recalls vividly the first time the pair spoke on the phone on Thanksgiving Day and the combination of excitement and apprehension she felt as she knew she was about to say hello.
- When other students went home for Thanksgiving, Strahan was left alone in his dorm.
- I have braved a hailstorm on Thanksgiving Day to barbecue a turkey.
- The American holiday, Thanksgiving, is such a charming concept that we would do well to adopt it.
- It is appropriate to remember the Pilgrims as Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.
- Anyhow, even though it isn't a holiday for me, let me wish those of you celebrating Thanksgiving a good one.
- As we walk to the park, the girl asks me if my brother and I celebrate Thanksgiving.
- El día de Acción de Gracias es un día festivo en EEUU, que se celebra el cuarto jueves de noviembre. Se lo asocia con la época de la llegada de los Pilgrim Fathers - the Pilgrim Fathers a Norteamérica en 1621. Se originó en el otoño del mismo año cuando el gobernador de Plymouth, William Bedford, invitó a los indios a unirse a ellos en una celebración de tres días en gratitud por aquella primera y abundante cosecha. En la actualidad es una ocasión en que las familias se reúnen para una comida tradicional que consiste en un pavo asado, relleno, salsa de arándanos, batatas y de postre, pastel de calabaza.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.