In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acción de gracias femenino
- This form of thanksgiving is not confined to spiritual devotion and verbal expressions.
- Friends and supporters of the hospice will be at its annual service of thanksgiving on Sunday.
- Alas, there is too much complaining and too little thanksgiving among the people of God!
- A service of thanksgiving for the life of a much-loved vicar took place on Saturday.
- Some mouthed silent words of thanksgiving while others joyfully praised the God of creation.
- The morning began with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Church in New Park Street.
- Our goal is to present ourselves to God with joy and thanksgiving at the start of each day.
- It is celebrated by Chinese all over the world as a family affair, a time of reunion and thanksgiving.
- Dogs, cats, gerbils and guinea pigs joined the congregation for a ceremony of hymns, readings and thanksgiving.
- These are prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of praise, and prayers that ask for things.
- It is specifically meant to be a sort of thanksgiving for goddess Lakshmi after the harvest.
- They receive blessings and joys with acceptance and thanksgiving, and put them to use in beneficial ways.
- It was a day of thanksgiving, and many expressed their appreciation for the help received from Alun and Margaret over many years.
- A service of thanksgiving was held at St Edward's Church last Saturday.
- He was thrilled and ordered that special prayer services of thanksgiving be held that night.
- Miriam and Dermot sang in the local choir, always delighting in singing songs of praise and thanksgiving.
- At 6.30 pm there will be an ecumenical service of thanksgiving for the Flower Festival.
- Her life was celebrated with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Parish Church, Burley in Wharfedale.
- A service of thanksgiving for his life will take place later in the year.
- For a Muslim Eid is a day of thanksgiving, sharing foods with the neighbours and the poor.
2Thanksgiving" or "Thanksgiving Day(in US)el día de Acción de Gracias
- The American holiday, Thanksgiving, is such a charming concept that we would do well to adopt it.
- Usually tradition plays a role in what will be served at Thanksgiving dinner.
- I have braved a hailstorm on Thanksgiving Day to barbecue a turkey.
- Pauline recalls vividly the first time the pair spoke on the phone on Thanksgiving Day and the combination of excitement and apprehension she felt as she knew she was about to say hello.
- President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November to be Thanksgiving Day.
- They had a bottle of French wine on the fourth of July and at Thanksgiving, but that was about it.
- At the end of 1980, he took his first day off for months to celebrate Thanksgiving Day.
- It is appropriate to remember the Pilgrims as Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.
- Well, it is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada and as such, we have the day off!
- And this, as you well know, Dana, is a president who spent Thanksgiving Day with U.S. troops in Baghdad.
- As we walk to the park, the girl asks me if my brother and I celebrate Thanksgiving.
- And during his Thanksgiving Day address to the troops in Baghdad, he paid tribute to their fallen comrades.
- When other students went home for Thanksgiving, Strahan was left alone in his dorm.
- Come to our Thanksgiving Party on Thanksgiving Day starting around 1 or 2pm.
- We tell each other this story and make our children perform it for our sacred holidays - Thanksgiving Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday.
- It's the second Monday in October or Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
- Anyhow, even though it isn't a holiday for me, let me wish those of you celebrating Thanksgiving a good one.
- Christmas and in fact holidays in general are supposed to be happy occasions, a bit like Thanksgiving Day last week, America's favourite holiday.
- On the eve of November's Thanksgiving holiday, the couple announced they had separated.
- Coming up to Thanksgiving in America, the Americans wanted to celebrate the occasion.
El día de Acción de Gracias es un día festivo en EEUU, que se celebra el cuarto jueves de noviembre. Se lo asocia con la época de la llegada de los Pilgrim Fathers - the Pilgrim Fathers a Norteamérica en 1621. Se originó en el otoño del mismo año cuando el gobernador de Plymouth, William Bedford, invitó a los indios a unirse a ellos en una celebración de tres días en gratitud por aquella primera y abundante cosecha. En la actualidad es una ocasión en que las familias se reúnen para una comida tradicional que consiste en un pavo asado, relleno, salsa de arándanos, batatas y de postre, pastel de calabaza.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.