In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acción de gracias femenino
- Some mouthed silent words of thanksgiving while others joyfully praised the God of creation.
- They receive blessings and joys with acceptance and thanksgiving, and put them to use in beneficial ways.
- This form of thanksgiving is not confined to spiritual devotion and verbal expressions.
- At 6.30 pm there will be an ecumenical service of thanksgiving for the Flower Festival.
- Her life was celebrated with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Parish Church, Burley in Wharfedale.
- For a Muslim Eid is a day of thanksgiving, sharing foods with the neighbours and the poor.
- Miriam and Dermot sang in the local choir, always delighting in singing songs of praise and thanksgiving.
- It is specifically meant to be a sort of thanksgiving for goddess Lakshmi after the harvest.
- It was a day of thanksgiving, and many expressed their appreciation for the help received from Alun and Margaret over many years.
- It is celebrated by Chinese all over the world as a family affair, a time of reunion and thanksgiving.
- Our goal is to present ourselves to God with joy and thanksgiving at the start of each day.
- A service of thanksgiving for the life of a much-loved vicar took place on Saturday.
- Friends and supporters of the hospice will be at its annual service of thanksgiving on Sunday.
- He was thrilled and ordered that special prayer services of thanksgiving be held that night.
- A service of thanksgiving was held at St Edward's Church last Saturday.
- A service of thanksgiving for his life will take place later in the year.
- Alas, there is too much complaining and too little thanksgiving among the people of God!
- The morning began with a service of thanksgiving at St Mary's Church in New Park Street.
- Dogs, cats, gerbils and guinea pigs joined the congregation for a ceremony of hymns, readings and thanksgiving.
- These are prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of praise, and prayers that ask for things.
2Thanksgiving (Day) — el día de Acción de Gracias — que conmemora la primera cosecha de losPilgrim Fathers - the Pilgrim Fathers
- When other students went home for Thanksgiving, Strahan was left alone in his dorm.
- I have braved a hailstorm on Thanksgiving Day to barbecue a turkey.
- It is appropriate to remember the Pilgrims as Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.
- Come to our Thanksgiving Party on Thanksgiving Day starting around 1 or 2pm.
- And during his Thanksgiving Day address to the troops in Baghdad, he paid tribute to their fallen comrades.
- Pauline recalls vividly the first time the pair spoke on the phone on Thanksgiving Day and the combination of excitement and apprehension she felt as she knew she was about to say hello.
- Well, it is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada and as such, we have the day off!
- Coming up to Thanksgiving in America, the Americans wanted to celebrate the occasion.
- President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November to be Thanksgiving Day.
- And this, as you well know, Dana, is a president who spent Thanksgiving Day with U.S. troops in Baghdad.
- On the eve of November's Thanksgiving holiday, the couple announced they had separated.
- The American holiday, Thanksgiving, is such a charming concept that we would do well to adopt it.
- At the end of 1980, he took his first day off for months to celebrate Thanksgiving Day.
- We tell each other this story and make our children perform it for our sacred holidays - Thanksgiving Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday.
- Usually tradition plays a role in what will be served at Thanksgiving dinner.
- Anyhow, even though it isn't a holiday for me, let me wish those of you celebrating Thanksgiving a good one.
- Christmas and in fact holidays in general are supposed to be happy occasions, a bit like Thanksgiving Day last week, America's favourite holiday.
- It's the second Monday in October or Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
- They had a bottle of French wine on the fourth of July and at Thanksgiving, but that was about it.
- As we walk to the park, the girl asks me if my brother and I celebrate Thanksgiving.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.