1(singular) el(singular) la(plural) los(plural) laspass me the bread/the salt/the tomatoes/the grapes — pásame el pan/la sal/los tomates/las uvas
- the color of the sky/of the grass — el color del cielo/de la hierba
2(used for emphasis)do you mean the Dr Black? — ¿te refieres al famoso Dr Black?
- she's the woman for the job — es la mujer ideal para el puesto
- it's the novel to read just now — en este momento, es la novela que hay que leer
3.1(with names)Henry the First/Second/Third — Enrique primero/segundo/tercero
- the Smiths — los Smith
3.2(in generic use)ellathe invention of the printing press — la invención de la imprenta
- the polar bear — el oso polar
- To learn the drums, he tried playing along to records, a method he admitted hating.
- In the mornings we have lectures and in the afternoons we teach students.
- Lots of the singles on the CD were never on the radio here.
- Parents have to be a lot more careful about what their children are allowed to watch on the TV.
- Becky sings with our church choir and plays the piano.
- According to parents, 60 percent of children complain of feeling tired during the day.
3.3(in abstractions, generalizations)the possible/sublime — lo posible/sublime
- the young/old — los jóvenes/viejos
4(per)porthey sell it by the square foot — lo venden por pie cuadrado
- I get paid by the hour — me pagan por hora
- three dollars the yard — tres dólares la yarda
- The Ballet School has some pianists on salary; others are paid by the hour.
- These annual levies are only a few cents in the dollar.
- If you fly into wind you will get much less mileage to the litre.
5coloquial(used instead of possessive pron)(singular) el(singular) la(plural) los(plural) lashow's the family? — ¿qué tal la familia? coloquial
- the old elbow's giving him trouble again — está teniendo problemas con el codo otra vez
- Are you all right? How are the kids?
- One night, the hubby and I stopped at the next door bakery and bought some bread.
1cuantothe more you have, the more you want — cuanto más tienes, más quieres
- the more she knows them, the less she likes them — cuanto más los conoce, menos le gustan
- the sooner, the better — cuanto antes, mejor
2I'm the richer for this experience — me he enriquecido con esta experiencia
- all the better to see you with — para verte mejor
- that's all the more reason not to give in — mayor razón para no ceder
- they'll be none the worse for some discipline — no les vendrá mal un poco de disciplina