1.1(close to person being addressed) ahí(further away) allí(further away) ahí América Latina(less precise, further) alláwhat have you got there? — ¿qué tienes ahí?
- where is my umbrella? — there, by the door — ¿dónde está mi paraguas? — allí, al lado de la puerta
- over there, across the river — allá, al otro lado del río
- do you mean here? — no, further over there — ¿dices aquí? — no, más allá
- $80 or somewhere around there — 80 dólares o por ahí
- what are you doing down/up there? — ¿qué haces ahí abajo/arriba?
- they've been in there for hours — hace horas que están metidos ahí / allí (dentro)
- you there! — ¡oye, tú!
- She went out to Africa to help out a friend for two weeks and then just stayed there for 21 years.
- Our archives are up there in the attic, but they haven't been sorted into any kind of order.
- The first time I saw the episode I just sat there for about ten minutes in complete shock.
- She's down there at her desk.
- They found a little straw but the cold chilled their bones and they lay there sleepless and afraid.
- He spent ten weeks there and emerged with a vicious loathing of the legal system that he nurses still.
- He'd already gone over the hill and Dave told me that he had decided to stay over there.
- Yep, there it is, underneath the chair on the other side of the room, frozen in the sudden light; a mouse.
- When the mine closed he moved to the Nottingham coalfield and stayed down there.
- On Tuesday the post office said that our application would be there by ten at the latest the next morning.
- You could quite easily miss the pub but a quick detour down Main Street and there it is.
- Once there, my niece presented Lisa with a picture of the two of us, and tried to pin us down to another visit.
- What still confuses me though is why the people who protest about it every year insist on staying there.
- If they had not seen him, he would probably have stayed there all night and died of hypothermia.
- I was here the other day for rehearsal and I swear to you there was a camera - there it is.
- And there it is, just across the main street that intersects this one at the center of town.
- Go through the narrow gap between the two big trees and there it is before you.
- There are heaps of cottages, and in the two years we were there, we stayed in at least four of them.
- The valet parking and car wash service is just there on the left-hand side.
- Outside, two men asked me what I was doing, and told me not to come near there again.
- We then flew down to San Francisco, staying there for a week or so, with a night away at Yosemite.
- They stayed there for 24 hours with no food and only trees as shelter from the heat.
- This is Toronto's oldest hotel and its main claim to fame is that the Beatles once stayed there.
- We had no idea what they were going to do or how long they intended to keep us there.
- After the evening meal he would go to the local pub and stay there until it closed.
- The lives of several animals, which were staying there overnight, were put at risk.
- Is that woman over there royalty or something?
- He flew out two days after the race and will stay out there for eight weeks.
- ‘It's over there,’ she told him, pointing to it.
- Firefighters were told by neighbours that the house was empty but two men had been staying there.
2(calling attention to sth, pointing sth out etc)there's the bell, it must be her! — ¡el timbre! debe de ser ella
- now there's a coincidence! — ¡eso sí que es casualidad!
- there's £20 — ahí tienes £20
- there he goes: politics again! — ¡ya está otra vez con la política!
- there goes the bus — ahí va el autobús
- there go my chances of promotion! — ¡adiós ascenso!
- fetch my newspaper, there's a dear! — anda, sé bueno y tráeme el periódico
3.1(present)lots of his friends were there — estaban muchos de sus amigos
- who's there? — (at the door) ¿quién es?
- is Tony there? — ¿está Tony?
3.2(at destination)when we finally got there — cuando por fin llegamos
- we're there — ya hemos llegado
- she'll be there by now — ya debe de haber llegado
3.3(available)I'm always there if you need help — si necesitas ayuda, cuenta conmigo
- the resources are there: they're just not being used — hay recursos, lo que pasa es que no se utilizan
- the evidence is there for everyone to see — la prueba está a la vista
4.1(at that point)there he paused and heaved a heavy sigh — entonces hizo una pausa y suspiró profundamente
- he went on from there to become a director — de ahí pasó a ser director
- from there the situation deteriorated rapidly — a partir de ese momento la situación empeoró rápidamente
4.2(on that point)you're right there — ahí / en eso tienes razón
- you've nothing to worry about there — en ese sentido no tienes por qué preocuparte
- the funny thing there was … — lo gracioso del caso fue que …
5.1(when action is complete)there! that's the last of the boxes — ¡listo! esa es la última caja
- there! now look what you've done! — ¿no te digo? ¡mira lo que has hecho!
5.2(coaxing, soothing)there, there, don't cry! — vamos, no llores
- there now! see how easy it is? — ahí está ¿ves qué fácil es?
1there's an egg/there are two eggs in the nest — hay un huevo/dos huevos en el nido
- there was nobody there — no había nadie
- once upon a time there was a princess/there were two brothers who … — había una vez una princesa/dos hermanos que …
- there was a demonstration/there were two demonstrations last week — hubo una manifestación/dos manifestaciones la semana pasada
- what is there to stop you? — ¿qué te lo impide?
- had there been an accident, we would have heard by now — si hubiera habido un accidente, ya nos habríamos enterado
- there can't be many people with that name — no puede haber mucha gente que se llame así
- I want there to be no mistakes — no quiero que haya ningún error
- there's no sugar left — no queda azúcar
- I think there's a paragraph/there are two paragraphs missing — creo que falta un párrafo/que faltan dos párrafos
- then there are the children to think about — luego están los niños, hay que pensar en ellos
- there's no denying it: he's a genius — hay que reconocerlo, es un genio
- there was no mistaking that face! — la cara era inconfundible
- all there is is a piece of stale bread — todo lo que hay es un pedazo de pan duro
- what food there was was inedible — la poca comida que había era incomible
- there comes a time when … — llega un momento en el que …