In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These included 10 anti-personnel mines, 20 land mines, four light anti-tank weapons, automatic rifles and ammunition, explosives and related material, and thermobaric weapons.
- General Myers said more than 300 bombs had been dropped, among them a newly-developed thermobaric device which sends a lethal wave of pressure and heat through deeply-buried caves, killing all those inside.
- Christopher Lansdown reminds me about Anh Duong, one of the lead developers of the thermobaric bunker-buster bombs used against al Qaeda in Afghanistan - she's a Vietnamese refugee.
- The thermobaric bombs being used are the epitome of weapons of mass destruction, the very weapons which they rant and rave about being in the hands of other countries.
- An assault weapon the Marines were using had been armed with warheads containing ‘about 35 percent thermobaric novel explosive and 65 percent standard high explosive.’
- On their screens they could see vast plumes of smoke and dust pouring out of the mouths of the caves and bunkers hit by the thermobaric bombs their commander had ordered deployed a few hours earlier.
- Those who authorised the use of White Phophorus and also thermobaric explosives, must also face trial.
- US planes have already unleashed one of their most feared weapons, a 2,000 lb thermobaric bomb, which sends a blast of pressure and incinerating heat deep into caves where terrorists may be hiding.
- This thermobaric warhead creates a blast wave equivalent to that produced by the detonation of 2kg of TNT.
- Two days of heavy bombing by F-16 jets and AC-130 Spectre gunships brought a total of at least 270 bombs and missiles in the first two days of combat, including a thermobaric cave-busting bomb.
- Nic, what do you know about the thermobaric bomb, that new bomb they use to hit caves?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.