In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Using a thermopile and galvanometer, he demonstrated that UV rays from an arc lamp are several orders of magnitude more lethal than visible rays.
- A collection of thermocouples is called a thermopile.
- He testified that as a result of this he applied soap and water to both the furnace connections and the hot water tank pilot connection where he had replaced the thermopile a few weeks previously.
- On the thermal side are thermocouples, thermopiles, bolometers, and pneumatic detectors.
- In 1829, Nobili invented the thermopile, and it was improved in 1852 by Melloni.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.