In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- How on earth can people afford to buy stuff in the January sales when they've just had Christmas?
- Oh well, they've been dancing for longer than me so I guess I have some time to catch up!
- They reckon it is a licence to print money and let's face it they've got lots of experience in this field.
- We sit side by side at the bar counter of an old fishermen's shack where they've been filming.
- I know that it's occurred to Matt and Nick because they've both talked about it with me.
- In any case, they've had a clean-up of natural debris and the sand is white and clean.
- Well fear not and control your excitement because they've started their own blog.
- Sea eagles hang out in the arctic north of Norway because they've been pushed back there by us.
- I expect that in a few more days we'll find out they've both joined a cult or something.
- But then they've got less to compare him with, and have had no time to get sick of him.
- So there's a lot of stock they've sent here which I'm just going to be throwing away.
- Now all I have to do is wait to see whether they've managed to get the authorisation codes right.
- They want the club to progress and everyone feels they've got the potential to progress.
- In that case, why were they continuing to ask for lots of money to do the research they've already done?
- They're a contrary lot, and they've been known to cause a few upsets in the past.
- What I do know is that naming these people before they've been charged is a very bad idea.
- What they've got now is around 500,000 people coming two or three or four times a year.
- No one knows when they died or who they are because they've been completely forgotten.
- The elder one has a partner and they've been living together for about nine years.
- He wants what's best for them and if they want to do well, that's who they've got to listen to.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.