In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1las tres cuartas partesthree-quarters of the population — el 75 por ciento / las tres cuartas partes de la población
- Over a half to three quarters of all the people who lived in that area have died.
- Importing three quarters of our organic food from all over the world is polluting the atmosphere and wrecking the climate.
- Nearly three quarters said they would use a tram system to get around the largely pedestrianised town centre.
- A round of mergers could halve the current number, or even reduce it by three quarters.
- A recent report showed that three quarters of burglars freed from prison are caught committing more crime within two years.
- The figures showed that new house prices in Dublin had actually fallen in two out of the last three quarters.
- Of them, my guess is that between two thirds and three quarters were non-combatants.
- One third of the doctors were women and three quarters were generalists.
- Of the 21 coach coordinators who gave their details on Saturday, three quarters are women.
- Around three quarters of women experience nausea in early pregnancy and around half also vomit.
- About three quarters of endowment mortgages sold over the last two decades are expected to post a shortfall when they mature.
- Finally, I finish up by going out onto the water for another hour and three quarters.
- They fought for at least three quarters of an hour to save him.
- More than three quarters agree that they are given sufficient training.
- However, almost three quarters were in favour of a product certification scheme.
- For the first three quarters, the market remained limp because of the recession and war.
- After originally losing 35 per cent of his pension, he will now get three quarters of his allowance.
- They also found that nearly three quarters of the parents interviewed relied on their children to find out about puberty at school.
- It was removed within three quarters of an hour of breaking down at 4.15 pm but caused delays until 6pm.
- About half of my friends play musical instruments, and three quarters of them play an instrument with which to make dance music.
1it was running on / at three-quarters power — funcionaba al 75% de su potencia
1it's three-quarters full — contiene el 75% / las tres cuartas partes de su capacidad
- The former girl group member is playing at here in June and, after less than a week, the show is now three quarters sold.
- When the glass is about three quarters full, he stops and gently places the glass on the bar.
- Without asking, he automatically poured another once our glasses approached three quarters empty.
- It is only about three quarters the size of Pluto, its closest neighbour.
- Maria pulled out the chair across from him and held her own bar glass three quarters full of cola.
- The drama unfolded at about 5pm, as the group were three quarters through the walk, when a strong gust of wind picked up Mr Smith.
- We three quarters filled it, to replace the fuel we'd used, before returning it.
- St John's Church was three quarters full for the main service on Christmas Day.
- Hiking a set distance is apparently between two thirds and three quarters as beneficial to your system as jogging it.
- Jim and Alan were three quarters Mexican and had grown up in a bilingual house.
- The oxygen level in her blood is three quarters that of a healthy person and this means her heart has to work harder as she grows to pump oxygen around her body.
- I took the jam jar from the shelf, and it looked like a normal jar, three quarters full.
- The exoccipitals end on the border of this foramen, at three quarters its height.
- If you care to notice, he's a man, and his hair is at least three quarters the length of yours.
- I am in a hotel three quarters full of white-haired old dears.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.