In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For some reason they have also chosen to crank the thumbscrews with an added splash of vindictiveness.
- London is putting the thumbscrews on in a bid to try to get the party around the talks table and ultimately the executive table far quicker than it wants.
- Some US commentators are calling for latter-day racks and thumbscrews to jumpstart the stalled investigation into 11 September
- And it is the most incredibly dreadful and evil prolonged pain delivery device ever conceived by man since the thumbscrew or the fiction of L. Ron Hubbard.
- Ms. Peterson didn't say who had applied the thumbscrews.
- People who would normally abhor applying the thumbscrews earnestly debated whether the risks of further atrocities justified brutal treatment of suspected terrorists.
- One is not bound to regard torture as only present in a mediaeval dungeon where the appliances of rack and thumbscrew or similar devices were employed.
- I'm coming up a bit short this month and the credit card company says that they will have to resort to the thumbscrew and hot irons strategy if I don't cough up.
- It is possible that the thumbscrew, the rack, or physical mutilation such as ear-cropping would not have been considered cruel by our forebears.
- As he was walking past a ship chandler's shop, he was shocked to see handcuffs, leg shackles, and thumbscrews in the window.
- The other mutineers, after torture with thumbscrews, were whipped and had ashes, salt and pepper rubbed into their wounds.
- No, U.S. attorneys did not use the thumbscrew or the rack, but they employed torture all the same.
- I bet the chancellor would like to have a thumbscrew handy.
- Last week, I was predicting that Bush would get his resolution, but that there would be a lot of abstentions, and that no-one would bother to act on it unless he bought out the thumbscrews.
- Fans of the thumbscrew and the cat o’ nine tails will be dismayed to learn that the nanny state has also outlawed anything that breaks the skin.
- There were all these intricate diagrams of horrible shackles and thumbscrews.
- I would rather have thumbscrews than campylobacter again.
- In actual fact, the Hutchinsons were the side of the family that invented the thumbscrew, while we ourselves are a particularly gallant and honourable lot.
- How do we stop from sliding down the slippery slope till we reach the oubliette where lurk the rack, the branding-iron, and the thumbscrew?
- There are iron thumbscrews, head squeezers, stretching racks, and interrogation chairs with spikes, many of which were used during the Spanish Inquisition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.