In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tuThy will be done — hágase tu voluntad
- If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small.
- Come: thou hast now entered upon the wifehood Of this thy lord who takes thy hand and woos thee.
- It is time to bid thee farewell, and let someone half thy hoary age step up and take thy place.
- Come all ye people, offer thy assistance and ye may be greatly rewarded.
- Deny thy father and refuse thy name; if thou wilt not, be but sworn by my love.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.