In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Provide a quiet place for student when tics are severe.
- Why do some of these tics of the diaphragm last so long?
- David Arrow plays Hardy as an utterly convincing mass of tics and twitches; his portrayal suggests a man who can't get comfortable in his own skin.
- Patients may be unaware of vocal tics, but family members may find the incessant noises grating.
- Other children get stomach aches, headaches, heart palpitations or muscle tics.
- Others discovered that after months or years of treatment they developed uncontrollable muscle twitches or tics that were often irreversible, even after stopping the drugs.
- Most children with tics can lead normal lives, and the tics themselves usually slow down in teenage years.
- In many patients there appears to be a genetic predisposition to the illness because other family members also may have tics, he says.
- Most facial tics or twitching are ‘idiopathic, ‘a term that means that no one knows what causes them.’
- Right now a spasmodic tic in his leg at the wrong time could get him killed.
- The prolonged use of major tranquillizers can produce movement disorders, including tremors, tics, and smacking of the lips.
- Night terrors or persistent recurring bad dreams, physiological illnesses, or persistent tics may warrant professional intervention.
- With great effort and concentration, people with Tourette syndrome can sometimes suppress their tics, or at least postpone them until they can be expressed in a more convenient time and place.
- In contrast, complex motor tics usually involve more muscle groups.
- Dr Johnson was overweight and suffered from chronic bronchitis, gout and dropsy, as well as nervous tics and compulsive gesticulations.
- Studies show that it is more effective in reducing motor tics than reducing vocal tics.
- This is exemplified by the case of a patient who had a facial tic and eczema around the mouth.
- The psychiatrist wants to try an anti-psychotic medicine used to treat tics.
- Most physicians have heard of the (occasionally obscene) speech tics that can occur with Tourette's syndrome, but many other tics are more common.
- He added that pain, particularly in the shoulders, arms and eyes, is associated with tics, either from the tics themselves or efforts to suppress them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.