In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tiburón tigre masculino
- One hapless tourist was bitten by a tiger shark while swimming with dolphins out in deep water.
- In Hawaii, the only known predator of adult balloonfish is the tiger shark.
- The average tiger shark is about ten feet (three meters), but some can grow over 15 feet long.
- My mind automatically classified it as a tiger shark.
- Three types of sharks are common in the area: the sand tiger shark, bull shark and scalloped hammerhead.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.