In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(rest)tiempo de descanso masculinodescanso masculinoto take (a) time out (from sth) — tomarse un descanso (de algo)
1.2timeout" or "time-outDeportetiempo (muerto) masculinoto call a timeout — pedir tiempo (muerto)
- With six seconds remaining and no timeouts, the Titans had one play to try to force overtime.
- Of course, you don't want to suggest a change the day before a crucial game, or in the timeout before a critical free throw.
- Then, in a plan arranged during a previous timeout and with the game tied, McGrady went straight up the court with 10.4 seconds left.
- During a timeout in the second quarter, a fan in his 40s threw a football through a hole in a board 25 yards away for $500,000.
- It was a close game, and the team had no timeouts left.
- Fast forward to the first timeout during a game when Starks yells at someone for taking an ill-advised shot.
- That's fine and dandy, but if fans already have sat through a four-quarter game, what are a few more minutes during a timeout or in overtime?
- Twenty-one seconds is a veritable lifetime in NFL fast-break standards, and with two timeouts left, the final minute of the game would have felt longer than a Fellini film.
- The Vikings appeared generally unprepared in the first quarter, blowing two timeouts in the game's first four minutes.
- How unprepared do you have to be to call a defensive timeout before the second play from scrimmage?
- In the playoffs, at least, everyone goes all out - attend a play-off game and what you see, during timeouts, are sweat-drenched players tugging at their shorts and gasping for breath.
- With less than six minutes left, Iverson, the smallest man on the court, pounded his hand on the scorer's table during a timeout and guaranteed victory.
- You are only allowed 3 or 4 timeouts per game, depending upon your league or tournament rules.
- In international basketball, a coach may request a timeout with the scorers table.
- Coughlin always has demanded total control, to the extent he doesn't allow any assistant to call a timeout during a game.
- Those timeouts at the end of the game don't do you any good if they're in your hip pocket.
- Substitutions rules are different for 20-second timeouts than for full timeouts.
- In international play you have to register timeouts with the scorer's table.
- If Manning sees himself running out of time because the defense is playing pre-snap games, he will use a timeout.
- Do college basketball officials view the glut of timeouts at the end of games as a problem?
1.3¡un momento!time out! we're getting off the subject here — ¡un momento! nos estamos yendo por las ramas
2timeoutInformáticatiempo de espera masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.