In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In tinder-dry conditions, the fire service could do without reckless idiots setting fires just for the hell of it.
- At least ten fires have been started deliberately on the estate at a time when tinder-dry conditions ensured they would spread rapidly across the nearby ground.
- Large areas of Lancashire's tinder-dry moorland could be closed off in a bid to reduce the number of fires.
- After the usual preliminaries a smiling countrywoman appeared, bearing a platter on which nestled a large sea bass in a bed of tinder-dry brushwood gathered from the beach.
- But at the end of last year, rainfall in the large eastern state of New South Wales was well below average - up to 90 percent lower in some areas - and the widespread woods and heath-lands were tinder-dry.
- Temperatures yesterday were well below the 38 degrees Celsius forecast, but meteorologists and local officials warned scorching weather could return and stoke fires in forests that remain tinder-dry.
- Earlier this week a number of fires broke out on Yorkshire moorland as the shortage of prolonged rain since January created tinder-dry conditions.
- I have been looking at probably, I would say, maybe 15 or 20 different separate areas where now these sparks have engaged, obviously, this very, very tinder-dry area.
- After phoning for help, he decided that the smart move in the tinder-dry Sierra Nevada National Park was to start a big fire to show his rescuers where he was.
- Fire chiefs have warned the public to be vigilant after tinder-dry conditions led to huge moorland fires across Yorkshire.
- The forest is still tinder-dry, even after the rain in the past two days, and authorities are concerned if they are there and are cooking and using candles it could accidentally spark a fire and put park users and nearby houses at risk.
- Over recent weeks there has been a huge increase in the number of farm fires around Stanford-le-Hope and Bowers Gifford, many of them made worse by the tinder-dry conditions of fields.
- Those tiny trees provide no shade to speak of, and so underbrush has multiplied, creating a choking, groundlevel brush that turns tinder-dry during a hot, dry summer like we've had this year.
- Natural oak woodlands are highly resistant to fire, but masses of tinder-dry dead trees could fuel catastrophic burns - many in areas thickly populated by people.
- With rural communities and businesses still emerging from the legacy of the foot-and-mouth crisis, they fear visitors could be barred from tinder-dry moors and were pinning their hopes on rain forecast for today and tomorrow.
- The already tinder-dry vegetation is further parched by the warm Santa Ana winds which blow in from the desert every year and also fuel any wildfires the moment they break out.
- That's obviously just tinder-dry conditions out there.
- You must always fight ‘fire with fire’ to ensure that there is no build-up of tinder-dry fuels.
- At latest count, fires had burned a total of more than 18,675 acres of tinder-dry grass and low-lying scrub.
- I stuffed the bottle with scraps of paper and tinder-dry sticks of which there was a plentiful supply.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.