In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)he's a generous tipper — siempre da/deja muy buenas propinas
- In fact, when he talks about rock stars, big tippers, Sophia Loren, and living the low life on No.4, it makes it easier for the listener to believe he knows whereof he speaks.
- I mean, you DO have to keep track of who the big tippers are.
- To my relief the pair kept waving off the waitress; if they'd been big tippers, Skip would have turned on me in a second.
- He's a generous tipper and a conscientious citizen who shows up for jury duty when he's summoned.
- It was a plum job to work on the Flying Scotsman, partly because the Americans liked it and they were big tippers.
- Then they would frequent the big tippers of the bar or their gangster boyfriends.
- I suspect on average I'd be considered a good tipper.
- He makes $7.05 an hour, plus tips - but he said wealthy travelers aren't very good tippers.
- Ever since I was a waiter I became this really big tipper.
- With a cake like that, these won't be big tippers.
- She also had a good eye for the big tippers, not that there were many of them here among the locals.
- This time a couple servers shout back and forth across tables about bad tippers.
- Of course, Uncle Sam likes ‘big tippers,’ but why should you pay more than you have to?
2also tipper truck
Britanicovolquete masculinovolqueta femenino
- Residents in Pear Tree Close were horrified when a large tipper truck dumped tons of rubble and waste in their quiet residential street on March 16.
- An investigation is under way into how the Ford Iveco tipper truck careered down Duke Street, close to Sheffield city centre, leaving a trail of destruction.
- Police are looking for a white transit-type van and a light-coloured tipper lorry used by the men.
- Given the large volume of rubbish being left, council officers suspect a tipper truck is being used to make the deposits.
- A teenager was seriously injured when the car he was driving was involved in an accident with a 32-tonne tipper lorry.
- He said: ‘Vans and tipper trucks are using the site as a dumping ground instead of paying to get rid of their waste.’
- He concluded that she had somehow fleetingly lost concentration sending the car into the path of the tipper truck.
- On the same night thieves broke into the cab of a tipper lorry parked at Marlborough Building Supplies, also in London Road.
- A tipper lorry carrying a cargo of Malt had spilt its load across the elevated section of the highway a little before 3pm, causing a motorbike to skid across the road and crash into three cars.
- The impact pushed the Renault into a Volvo tipper truck flipping the car into the air.
- Although emergency plans had been prepared to use 7,500 troops to get fuel moving using 3,520 requisitioned tipper trucks, the police were deeply reluctant to see them put into action.
- A scheme was set up where our Department would employ a person who would be supervised and trained on what to watch out for when the contractors turned up with their tipper lorries loaded with material for dumping.
- Footage captured by the camera and shown in court clearly showed each tipper lorry unloading the waste material.
- He hired a crew of workers who used JCBs, a tipper truck, lorries and floodlighting to remove track from the disused line.
- Take the case of a recent accident in which a tipper lorry rammed a car from behind, pushing it under a bus which was parked at a bus stop.
- The wheels of the tippers sank when the waste was being removed.
- In a raid on one farm burglars made off with a tipper lorry valued at £4,000 and an Ifor Williams trailer worth £1, 000 and hand tools worth £200.
- He told how he was stopped behind a tipper truck with his handbrake on when he heard brakes screeching.
- A light green Nissan Almera and a red Ford Sierra, heading towards Topcliffe, were in collision with an HGV tipper truck, heading towards Northallerton.
- A collision between a car and a tipper lorry which left an elderly York woman driver dead proved that ‘speed kills’, a court heard today.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.