In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They survived the war between the Titans and the Olympians and became servants of Zeus.
- Thrust it down, below the depths of Tartarus, into the lightless prison of the Titans!
- The rest of Saturn's moons are named after individual Titans like Enceladus and Mimas.
- He was one of the Titans, the children of Gaia and Ouranos, Earth and Sky.
- In Greek mythology, he had been torn apart by Titans but was always regenerated, like the vines in spring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.