In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The industry scheme is all well and good but until every shop has a bin for collecting scrap mobile phone equipment, the scheme is nothing more than tokenism.
- The major networks can't even be accused of tokenism because they have too few token efforts to show.
- As quota critics have long maintained, heavy-handed quota schemes don't promote true racial diversity, only politically correct tokenism.
- Though considered by some to be mere tokenism, this openness to Asians has worked to the benefit of many dancers.
- But it is difficult to regard these attempts as more than mere tokenism.
- While it may be tokenism, it is at least an effort to expand the foundation of our knowledge.
- I am inclined to think that such moves are mere tokenism.
- This inevitably leads to some accusing the advertiser of tokenism or stereotyping, which in turn reinforces the difficulty of acting inclusively.
- It's merely an example of green tokenism which does nothing to meet any environmental objectives.
- One suspects that aesthetic considerations were cynically sacrificed to muddle-headed political expediency and tokenism.
- We are catching up with history, and I for one would rather there be an organic process, rather than tokenism.
- Some felt that welcome performances were merely tokenism as no indigenous people were attending the conference, others that the Aboriginal voices in the region must be acknowledged.
- Piecemeal reforms of immigration law are insufficient and smack of tokenism.
- With Scotland viewed by most as a distinctive media market, in terms of TV, publishing, radio, and advertising, such regulation could play a vital role in battling broadcasting tokenism.
- It is only if we have a real sense of what is happening with women, all women, rich and poor, young and old, can we hope to arrive at strategies and solutions that can make a difference and go beyond rhetoric and tokenism.
- Our report shows that children as young as eight can tell the difference between tokenism and meaningful consultation.
- Simply electing a few women to assume key political positions is mere tokenism, and should fool no one.
- However, a growing number of artistic directors are going beyond tokenism to a point where racial diversity is absolutely essential to their mission.
- The attempt to rebalance parliament so the ‘other half’ of the electorate could be represented may have been motivated by political correctness, but it has been anything but tokenism.
- We are allowing our countryside to be destroyed for the sake of environmental tokenism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.