In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The powdered bark can also be treated with solvents, such as toluene, or amyl alcohol to extract the quinine.
- The raw materials for today's dyes are mainly aromatic hydrocarbons: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, anthracene, pyrene, and others.
- Toxic chemicals such as benzene, toluene and methyl benzene were included in the list.
- In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.
- In combination with nitric acid, toluene gives trinitrotoluene.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.