In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There were plenty of games, many of which had been made by the children themselves including a coconut shy, ball games and a tombola.
- There were also table football challenges, quizzes, raffles, tombolas and cake stalls.
- Record numbers of people turned out to enjoy children's games, stalls, raffles and tombolas at the third annual Bishopthorpe Village Gala on Saturday - despite afternoon downpours.
- The money seems to have been taken from one of the main games like the tombola or raffle.
- Parents, children and grandparents were able to take their chances on lucky dips and tombolas and were also able to choose Christmas gifts from around 15 stalls selling such items as cuddly toys and candles.
- We are being asked to provide help at the stalls and to donate prizes for the raffle, the tombola and the Mystery Bottle draw.
- First, to all who so generously gave the prizes for the tombola, thank you.
- The 43rd annual show will include refreshments, a plant sale, a tombola and a raffle.
- The garden party includes cream teas, stalls, raffles, tombolas, homemade jams and marmalades.
- The fair, on November 1 at 2.30 pm, will have tombolas, lucky dips, a ball pool and craft stalls.
- The organisers are short of prizes for the tombola and raffle so would be very grateful of any donations.
- Stalls selling everything from books and bric-a-brac to cakes and crafts will be on the agenda, as well as games, a tombola and a raffle.
- She will be selling plants and small garden ornaments, light refreshments will be available and there will also be the chance to win a prize on a tombola.
- On offer at the open day will be information about organic growing, live music, tombola, raffle, games and refreshments in the café.
- There will be live entertainment on the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, along with pub games and a tombola.
- Attractions will include games, tombola, and a lucky dip as well as bric-a-brac sales.
- Entrance costs £2.45 and there will also be a tombola and raffle.
- There was plenty going on at the fête to entertain people, including a bouncy castle, go-karts and games as well as a huge range of stalls, raffles and tombolas.
- There will be magic, stilt walking, fire juggling, competitions with prizes and a tombola.
- There's a tombola, a raffle and any number of games for the kids to enjoy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.