In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This dapper crew, decked out with pristine suits, scrawny moustaches and tommy guns, is brilliantly cast.
- Its most famous shark hunter was writer Ernest Hemingway, who boasted about shooting sharks with a tommy gun from the dockside when he fished the area in the 1930s.
- Capone's usual partner was Jack McGurn, a sleek, handsome virtuoso of the tommy gun, architect of the St. Valentine's Day shootings.
- In one of the film's most famous scenes, Camonte secures a tommy gun from a now dead, would-be assassin and, with the joy and fascination of a child at Christmas, tries out his new toy.
- Then, another time a bullet shot the tommy gun right out of my hands - it hit the wooden stock.
- They also looted property totalling 5.4 million yuan, five taxis, two tommy guns and 20 bullets.
- Gangsters, pumped up with adrenaline, rake bank interiors and nearby storefronts with tommy guns.
- Meanwhile our heroes have a couple of handguns and a tommy gun.
- He's going to opium dens where he's part of a gang as a hired assassin who carries a tommy gun in a violin case.
- I did like the shoot out outside of the pub, the muzzle flashes of the tommy gun in the darkness at the end of the street, as the bodyguards are mowed down in slow-motion in the rain.
- Within pages, we've shifted gear from existential drama to gunplay complete with tommy guns and a truly horrible scene that leaves Amy literally scarred for life.
- This heavily furnished, tightly buttoned film has all the familiar tommy guns, antique automobiles, snap brim hats and heavy suits, but it's very unusual.
- Prodded in the ribs by the tommy guns of their guardians, he and his men began to move.
- As he travels farther along, he'll also manage to acquire pistols, tommy guns, grenades and other weapons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.