In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(quality of sound, voice)tono masculinofrom the tone of her voice I could tell that … — por el tono de voz me di cuenta de que …
- don't speak to your mother in that tone of voice! — ¡no le hables a tu madre en ese tono!
- The Octet's members placed a high priority on a full singing tone, honeyed legato playing, and warm, genial musicianship.
- Keeping track of your tone of voice, volume and inflection is also a good idea.
- She also sings rather well, with a husky, sensual tone hinting at a passion lurking under all those crinolines.
- I didn't know what that meant exactly, but her tone signaled the end of the discussion.
- She is blessed with the cool, crystalline tone so characteristic of Scandinavian singers.
- I could see some of the excitement drain out of her expression and her tone of voice changed.
- It employs a single reed and has a very pure tone with no vibrato although this can be induced by use of the bellows.
- I can see their expression and hear their tone of voice now, clear as anything.
- But I'm sure my tone of voice and facial expression got my point across.
- I couldn't hear the sarcastic tone in her voice and I felt jealousy rising in me.
- The attractive part of the vocal delivery is the tone, the snotty sneer with which nearly every line is delivered.
- ‘I'm turning into a bit of a dragon,’ she says, in a tone of voice that could hardly be less dragon-like.
- Oistrakh's warm tone ensures that the concerto's melodic content is not compromised, in spite of his gutsy playing.
- Kevin and Faith were not far from him speaking in hushed tones.
- But they soon learned the distinctive sound of each engine and found the familiar tones of the passing traffic a comfort rather than a disturbance.
- She started to laugh, the musical tones reverberating through the halls before quieting.
- Yes, his name is uttered amongst the musical cognoscenti in hushed tones.
- Only Trent noticed the mocking tone in Matt's voice and he hated him for it.
- He opened his mouth and began to say something, but stopped short, and stared at Naomi for a second before continuing in a hushed tone.
- Without the facial expressions and tone of voice that play so great a part in human communication, comments may become at best ambiguous, at worst offensive.
- I can normally tell, just from her tone of voice down the telephone line, how she's feeling.
- Imagine my surprise when they spontaneously sang with me again, but this time in hushed and reverent tones.
- She was excited, but couldn't manage a happy tone of voice to express it.
- The playing throughout is crisp, featuring beautiful, full, round tones and distinct single note lines.
- He continued to ponder this as he moved across the room to where several of his men were standing speaking in hushed, worried tones.
- The darkly resonant tones of the lower strings in the opening Largo were a prelude to the precise, crisp attack of the violins in the succeeding Allegro molto.
- ‘That was how our grandfathers and father lived - those are our rules,’ says one man in a firm tone of voice.
- Ah well, you'll just have to imagine what my dulcet tones sound like.
- His voice had struck a conversational tone that grated on her nerves.
- Her voice held a tone of finality that signaled the end of the discussion.
- Try changing your tone of voice to break the pattern.
- Despite the dismissive tone of voice, a serious expression crossed her face.
- There was no speaking in hushed tones at this compact dining room full of chatty, laughing customers.
- Gruppman's bracing attack and Kosower's warmly resonant tone enlivened the Allegro finale.
- The tone of voice in the transcripts is revealing.
- By the time the entrées arrived, I found myself taking tiny bites and talking in hushed tones about the quality of the parsnips in my soup.
- For a moment during this litany, her tone of voice takes on a sharp, exasperated edge.
- Violinist Adela Pena played with a penetrating tone and trenchant musicality.
- First she tried sweet-talking him, using a sugary-sweet tone of voice to put him in a good mood and then happily suggesting that he let her out for some exercise.
- On 'The Bird and Phoenix', he achieves an impressionistic, plaintive tone on flute.
1.2tones pluralmasculino sonidofemenino voz
1.3Lingüísticamasculino tono ascendentemasculino tono descendente
- Its lingua franca is Cantonese, a dialect that has six tones compared to the four tones of standard mandarin Chinese.
- Hmong is monosyllabic and tonal, meaning that it consists mainly of one-syllable words and that the tone of a word affects meaning.
- Chinese pronunciation involves four tones, each indicated by a tone mark.
- Ethnic Liberian languages usually contain two or three distinct tones, based on pitch, which indicate semantic or grammatical differences.
- In English, these tones suggest finality, the fall frequently occurring at the end of a statement, the rise at the end of a yes-no question.
- Every syllable has an associated tone or pitch - high, low, medium, falling, rising, or whatever.
1.4Telecomunicacionesseñal (sonora) femenino
- The telephone beside Andrew rang, and he answered after a single tone.
- She quickly dialled Izzy's Scottish number but was answered by a busy tone.
- It took at least three tones before someone answered.
- I make sure the volume on my beep tone is always turned up as high as it will go.
- The harsh tone of the telephone disrupts my slumber.
- His mobile telephone rang with a tone indicating he was in Spain but was switched off without a word being said.
2(shade)tono masculinotonalidad femenino
- The temperature is just right, there's a clear scent in the air, and the colours and tones of the falling leaves is absolutely beautiful to me.
- We often take color for granted, not bothering to notice the subtle hues, tones and intensities that surround us.
- The neck is longer and more elegant, the underglaze blue cobalt lighter and purer in tone, and the porcelain itself whiter and with fewer occlusions.
- Extraordinarily subtle gradations of hue and tone at the perimeters heighten the ethereal appearance of the whole.
- John finds that artist pencils allow him to better express his artistic creativity than the brush because of the aspect of detail and layers of tone and texture which can be obtained.
- A student of the subject at A-Level, he favours a mixture of painting and printing techniques, and his pictures suggest a preference for modern art as well as earthy colours and tones.
- The palette also includes colours inspired by skin tones: blush, flesh, coffee, caramel, nut and cinnamon.
- Light pink gets lost next to the yellow and dark pink is too close in tone to the red.
- After the war his painting lost much of its intensity, with pastel tones replacing the bold, sometimes harsh colours he had earlier used.
- Her trademark knitwear combines earthy tones with vivid colourful trims.
- No matter what the bright colours, whether orange, sweet pink tones, neutral colours or just black and white, they will all be widely seen.
- I enjoy the search for new shades of established colours, and I look forward to merging them with my base tones and creating a different vision of how I perceive things to be.
- The paintings seem at first to be sombre in tone, coloured mostly by umbers and sepia-like hues.
- Their neutral tone will balance the bright hues of the coolest polo shirts of the season, and offset your trendy jeans.
- Building on continental lessons, he developed a technique of using thin washes of colour in muted tones to create an impression of transparency.
- His visible brushstrokes in the foreground and creamy subdued tones interspersed with bright oranges and red hues are very seductive.
- Other than delicate pink flesh tones, heavenly shades of blue predominate, accented with green and white.
- Alternate different tones of green to prevent them from becoming completely camouflaged.
- The drawing is notable for its wonderful use of soft pencil, which permits fine gradations of tone and texture.
- The walls, adjustable lighting and curtains are all in warm colour tones to ease anxiety.
3.1(mood, style)tono masculinothe tone of the speech/article — el tono del discurso/artículo
- to set the tone — marcar la pauta
- the tone of the market — la tónica / tendencia del mercado
- Despite the modern setting, the films are Victorian in tone and atmosphere.
- Nonetheless, I found the general tone of the film to be inspirational rather than offensive.
- The show seemed oddly just a little light in tone, at least relative to the general tone of the series.
- Computers crash, characters bicker, and the general tone of the series is somewhat grim, with occasional bursts of humor.
- Excessively muted in tone and atmosphere, they seem remote now, as if filtered through gauze.
- The general tone of the piece is cynical, morbid and unpleasantly other-worldly.
- The general tone of the piece was quite positive.
- He uses everything at his disposal to maintain a moody, atmospheric tone.
- A couple of moments might make you jump but overall it's a promise the film just can't keep as tension quickly fades into a tone of general monotony.
- Interesting images are available through this gateway, and although the content varies from provider to provider, the general tone is one of intelligent, critical inquiry.
- Though he makes some brief excursions into consciously literary forms, the overall tone of his writing is terse, colloquial, practical, laconic.
- Throughout all of this, the emphasis is on atmosphere and tone.
- That has been the general tone of media reporting of the affair.
- She'd written most of the lyrics, and it was surprising that he'd caught on about the general tone of the piece.
- I'm also a little stunned by the tone of the piece.
- I am most happy with the fact that the general tone of your newspaper is moderate and very optimistic.
- I would agree wholeheartedly with the general tone of the article.
- The lack of a clear atmosphere or tone turns what could have been passionate into just passable.
- The general tone of this album is quite serious, heavily laden with food-for-thought political rants.
- However, I take exception to the general tone of his letter.
3.2(standard, level)nivel masculino
4(of muscle)tono (muscular) masculinoexercise helps keep your body in tone — el ejercicio te ayuda a mantener el tono muscular
- The Apgar score was based on heart rate, respiratory effort, muscle tone, reflex irritability, and skin color.
- Other infants may develop low muscle tone, seizures, heart failure and coma, often following an illness.
- His muscle tone was mildly low but within the reference range.
- Physical exercise also is encouraged to assist in weight reduction and increase muscle tone.
- Babies with achondroplasia have poor muscle tone, often leading to delays in learning to sit, stand and walk.
- The electroencephalogram, eye movements, and muscle tone are monitored.
- With that low activity level, they are likely to lose muscle tone throughout their body.
- This program consisted of ambulation with portable oxygen and arm exercises to maintain muscle tone.
- Many signs are noticeable at birth, such as low muscle tone, small nose, short fingers, and flexible joints.
- Walker is intent on maintaining muscle tone in his lower body.
- Drinking water also helps maintain proper muscle tone, which aids muscle contraction.
- I agree with him that upper airway muscle tone is decreased during sleep and is an important component of obstructive sleep apnea.
- These children should be followed closely from birth and their development and muscle tone should be evaluated on a periodic basis.
- Physical boosts in endurance, muscle tone, body composition and blood flow can all improve sexual functioning.
- His muscle tone is normal for gestational age and response to stimulation is good.
- They improve muscle tone, circulation and physiological efficiency and build up strength, stamina and flexibility.
- These children tend to be underweight and emaciated, with decreased muscle tone.
- Norepinephrine and serotonin are involved in the loss of muscle tone during REM sleep.
- Tetanus causes increased muscle tone and spasms especially in the neck and jaw muscles.
- Staying active will help to maintain muscle tone and function.
- The Hellenistic mind of the Byzantines allowed musicians to draw systems of tones from the music of ancient Greece.
- Ideally, I try to warm-up to a tone or two above the performance's highest note.
- For example, a rising whole tone interval is mirrored by a falling whole tone interval.
- At the climax of the third chant, she so subdivides her forces that eventually, all twelve tones of the chromatic scale are encompassed.
- He uses this music to introduce octaves, accented rhythms, a whole tone scale and a continuous cross-hand pattern.
to tone with
1combinar conarmonizar con
- It is also great for toning your upper body, arms and leg muscles.
- A great glute and thigh strengthener, this exercise tones the abs and lower back muscles in a highly original way.
- It seemed like every muscle in her body was perfectly toned and tanned, and she looked amazing.
- The goal is to strengthen and tone muscles while improving balance, coordination, core strength and body awareness.
- When you feel how much this strengthens and tones your lower body, especially your glutes and thighs, you'll be in an even better mood.
- Walking, cycling and swimming, especially breaststroke, also work your bottom muscles and tone up your thighs.
- They're not heavy enough to strengthen and tone your muscles, and they won't do much to boost the intensity of your cardio workouts, either.
- It stretches and tones up just about every muscle in the body.
- Bitter herbs also tone the smooth muscles in your gastrointestinal tract.
- It tones the entire body while strengthening the cardiovascular system.
- It tones up the muscles of the face and improves facial expressions.
- It depends on the individual, on how confident they feel and how toned their body is.
- The backstroke is ideal for toning the upper body, while the breast stroke works those hard-to-tone inner thighs.
- Here's how to tone your body in all the right places.
- Kata training is great for defense, raising your level of fitness, toning your body muscles and releasing those dangerously high levels of stress.
- This will stretch and tone the arm muscles, while loosening the back and shoulder muscles.
- Pilates has been hailed as the best overall exercise for toning your body and freeing your mind.
- Jeff tones up his clients' muscles with some regular gentle weight-lifting.
- They find that the hip movements are beneficial - they strengthen and tone the body.
- It strengthens and tones your muscles, raises your body's metabolism and knocks up to six inches off your waist, hips and stomach measurement in a single session
- The print is then toned in sulphide or selenium and often hand coloured with oil paints to create the final result.
- Unlike selenium, which selectively tones the low values first, gold toners tend to affect the entire image at once.
- Sepia toning originally was developed to extend the archival life of early black-and-white silver-based prints.
- Below is the same test strip reduced in iodine reducer and toned in three different toners.
- With the toner used at full strength, the print should be fully toned in about six to eight minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.