In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By the turn of the century, destroyers mounted torpedoes and replaced the torpedo boat.
- German bombing of airfields had now made it impossible to fly back, but there was the possibility of taking a torpedo boat from Dunkirk to Cherbourg.
- All we knew was that it was either a motor torpedo boat or motor gun boat.
- All week I have been hearing tales of the S57, a German torpedo boat from World War Two.
- To increase her lethal potential, she had aboard a 10-ton motor torpedo boat which her captain employed with good effect.
- Unhappy with the radio-operator role that SOE planned for her, she joined the OSS and was inserted back into France by torpedo boat in March 1944 to continue her work.
- I was taken back by the same torpedo boat that had taken me over… I fell asleep standing.
- Queensland had two gun boats, one torpedo boat and a picket boat.
- A8, in company with A7, a torpedo boat and the cruiser HMS Forth, parent ship of the submarine squadron, had left Devonport in the morning for exercises off Looe, carrying a crew of 12 and seven trainees.
- A Royal Navy warship and a new RFA tanker were called in to help British and Spanish customs officers to seize more than three tonnes of cocaine from a wartime torpedo boat hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic.
- The torpedoes remained in their crates and were never used as there was no torpedo boat!
- The boats formed part of the Medway flotilla of torpedo boat destroyers, which were returning from Granton, the flotilla staying at Filey over-night, then proceeding to Felixstowe.
- The weather throughout the run was perfect, and the squadron was met at eight o'clock this morning by fourteen torpedo boat destroyers, which fired a royal salute and joined the escort, spreading out like wings on either side.
- Many of us were about 20 years old but living in that period we knew we were fighting the brutal Nazi fascist regime. I was a naval seaman on a British torpedo boat so we did not land.
- In that exchange, a North Korean torpedo boat was sunk and dozens of its sailors killed.
- Nampo personnel landing craft are based on Soviet P-6 torpedo boat hulls.
- This is where you'll find the wreck of the German torpedo boat S - 57, one of the most prized dive-sites in the southern Adriatic and protected by law.
- And there's a substantial difference between a hovering helicopter a few feet away from a ship and an attacking jet moving close to 600 miles an hour or a torpedo boat more than a mile away when the ship was covered in smoke.
- Some served as motor torpedo boat tenders, battle damage repair ships or aircraft engine repair ships.
- Consider this: a bigger frigate chasing a torpedo boat has to spend ten times the distance to make a 180 degree turn while something diminutive can jinx, juke and dodge without any such penalty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.