In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An hour or two later torrential rain began to fall and the Show was washed out.
- But observers blamed the torrential rain that fell on the capital before and after the ceremony.
- Still torrential rain fell, leaves blew all around and I saw no other vehicle for my entire journey.
- The rest of the day torrential rain fell, the grass becoming a bog, the river turning to a lake.
- This was a result of a downpour of torrential rain which lasted approximately an hour and a half.
- Heavy storms and torrential rain continued on many days through to October, ending one of the worst droughts on record.
- Day and night the sky falls upon them and torrential rains dampen their dreams.
- Shortly before the bout took place, torrential rain fell and the canvas was drenched.
- The threat of flooding in the district was fading today as torrential rain and heavy storms began to fade.
- Ten days after this deluge, torrential rain fell in Tasmania, causing major flooding in the Derwent Valley.
- The floods followed torrential rain that has fallen since August, causing rivers to overflow and dams to collapse.
- After two days of sunshine, torrential rain started falling in Australia too, washing out part of his holiday.
- A fast torrential rain began to fall, hard and thick making it impossible to see anything in front of the car.
- Somehow I just love those violent eruptions in the sky and the ensuing downpour of torrential rain.
- The twister or funnel cloud was spotted at around 4pm yesterday as a torrential downpour rained on the town.
- On the day of the murder there was torrential downpour of rain on Norfolk Island.
- On the paddy fields of the far east of Wales, with torrential rain falling throughout, there was very little rugby.
- It flew through torrential rain and sleet and snow showers to arrive just before 8am.
- Two schoolchildren are up for a bravery award after helping their grandmother when she fell in torrential rain.
- As torrential rain fell Malton still persevered with an adventurous and open game.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.