In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1femenino ciudadmasculino pueblofemenino población(life/dweller) de la ciudad(life/dweller) urbanoto go into town — ir al centro
- in town — (not outside) en la ciudad
- it's the best hotel in town — es el mejor hotel de la ciudad
- he's the biggest liar in town — es de lo más mentiroso
- I've lived all my life in towns — siempre he vivido en ciudad(es)
- they live out of town — viven en las afueras
- she's out of town at the moment — está de viaje en este momento
- an out-of-town person — una persona de fuera
- the next day the news was all over town — al día siguiente lo sabía la ciudad entera
- to go out on the town, to have a night on the town — ir / salir de juerga
- Indeed the transformation of this particular site and its surroundings is serving as a model for other developments in more socially excluded areas of other large towns and cities.
- The continued ‘area bombing’ of towns and cities, instead of strategic targets such as oil supplies and transport, was undoubtedly a serious mistake.
- It has been tested in cities, towns and rural areas as well.
- The flight of many Congolese to cities and mining towns outside linguistic boundaries has caused new varieties of language to arise.
- Over the years the concept has spread nationwide and operates in major cities and towns in 25 counties throughout Ireland.
- I photograph the perpetually gendered in little rural towns outside the city, towns with names like Ash and Beech and Coriander.
- Governments of cities, towns and villages also should define in advance their criteria for issuing evacuation calls and issue them promptly when necessary.
- In areas where peasants normally congregated, villages became towns and towns became cities.
- In Namibia reckless individuals occupy erven in residential areas in cities, towns and villages to conduct their unwanted business.
- Firstly, that there are significant numbers of young men concentrated in inner areas of towns and cities about to hit the peak period of offending.
- There are now plans to hold similar expos in several major towns and cities, in order to bring more revenue to artisans around the country, throughout the year.
- The continued deplorable condition of districts, villages, towns and cities throughout the country leaves lots to be desired.
- We may be entering into a period when the local areas, the villages, towns and cities in which we live become more important to us.
- Barn owls thrive in and around human settlements in villages, towns and cities.
- From countries and capitals to cities, towns and villages, as we move further down on a geographical scale, there is a village in Sweden and another one in Scotland.
- For Bastille day I've taken the names of 20 French towns and cities and written an anagram of each.
- Many cities and towns were nostalgically named after the places the Scottish immigrants had left behind.
- They were organized around an exporting economy, and as a result, the major cities dwarfed other towns within the tributary area.
- These extensions followed on from the government desire to generate development in run down areas of cities and major towns.
- He points out that the solid fuel industry cooperated fully with the Department when smokefree zones were introduced in many major cities and towns throughout the country.
2(inhabitants)ciudad femeninothe whole town knows about it — lo sabe toda la ciudad / todo el mundo
- town and gown — los habitantes de la ciudad y el ambiente universitario
- the antagonism between town and gown — el antagonismo entre los habitantes de la ciudad y el ambiente universitario
- No longer are rivalries between town and gown manifested in destruction, riot and murder.
- Central Vision has taken this further with its detailed submission as to how a campus at York Central would be good for town and gown.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.