In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)concejo municipal de vecinos masculino
- A few days later, however, at a town meeting before the City Council, all but one of 20 speakers were in favor of the plan.
- I think first of the town meeting which includes all citizens.
- The Bloomers are urging residents to attend the annual town meeting on Monday in the United Reformed Church, Calcutt Street.
- In June, 200 residents showed up at a heated town meeting in tiny Grafton township to challenge a trio of libertarian activists they feared were trying to conquer their community.
- Last point, one of our young officers who did a tour in Afghanistan stood up in the town meeting on Tuesday and told the crowd in attendance what he and our troops did there and the good that was being accomplished.
- But you don't go to Iowa unless you go to a town meeting.
- A town council left to deal with the fallout over a controversial development were quizzed by residents at an annual town meeting.
- Shouldn't we be debating at a town meeting or something?
- I will be at a town meeting in Michigan that night with undecided voters.
- When he asked members of the public at the annual town meeting on Thursday whether they would be prepared to pay, about half said they would.
- No one, including the local acting police chief who attended the town meeting, enforced the law against the illegal aliens.
- We're not with you tomorrow night because of the debate and a special town meeting.
- Chad and Anne had started a conversation about a recent town meeting.
- I think it was a great idea to have a town meeting just to let residents know what was going on and that we weren't going to come in and tell the locals what we were going to do, we were getting their input and enthusiasm.
- The issue will be discussed at the annual town meeting on Thursday, April 22.
- But people who attended the annual town meeting on Thursday were against the idea of double-decker graves
- Earlier that evening, in front of a full town meeting, the mayor publicly referred to Bill as a second-class citizen.
- The Reston Connection has the initial account of the town meeting in question.
- Now, those fighting for strict enforcement of our broken southern border faced off with opponents at a tense town meeting.
- Assuming the test data are encouraging, the annual town meeting will debate and vote on whether to allocate some tax money for one or two wind turbines.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.