In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But they haven't even made it yet to their desks on the rowdy trading floors of investment banks in the City of London.
- The first computerized order-routing system became operational in 1976, connecting brokers across the USA instantly to the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange.
- But very similar to conditions on the NYSE trading floor, life went on.
- The NYSE and AMEX are both primarily auction based, which means specialists are physically present on the exchanges' trading floors.
- It had a ‘room’ measuring 206 ft by 96 ft, with a massive dome 125 ft above the centre, what was to become the trading floor of the exchange.
- What could have more tumult than the trading floor of a stock exchange, for example?
- That's not too surprising given the time of year, with trading floors pretty sparsely populated
- The market's inability to detect this pattern means that big money is left on Wall Street trading floors.
- These latest quotes were delivered by messengers, or ‘pad shovers’, who ran a circuit between the trading floor and brokers' offices.
- On the NYSE, all trades occur in a physical place, on the trading floor of the NYSE.
- There is, for example, the fate of the trading floor - long defended by the exchange as the best way to set prices but lambasted by critics as an outmoded system that hurts investors.
- All right, our ‘Stock of the Week’ hasn't even hit the trading floor yet but how often does a company with a product that millions rely on go public every day?
- The NYSE announced today it will allow more electronic order processing, and that will take more trades out of the hands of the middlemen on the trading floor.
- Some of these exchanges have trading floors; others are screen-based.
- But you know, I think it doesn't matter whether you're in a news room as David is here at the exchange or on the trading floor.
- Traditionally, they had to maintain large staffs on trading floors - an expensive proposition.
- Even before the paycheck bombshell, institutional investors were going public with long-festering complaints about improper practices on the NYSE trading floor.
- It will be noisier than the trading floor of a Wall Street stock exchange.
- When I was 12 years old, I was arrested on the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange.
- Given the locker-room, alpha-male atmosphere of the trading floor, it's no surprise that finance-industry types are drawn to boxing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.