In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1traffic calming measures — medidas para reducir la velocidad del tráfico femenino
- We were appalled to read in your newspaper that there is a scheme afoot to install so-called traffic calming measures in this road.
- A stark choice remained - no speed limit or traffic calming to reduce the speeds.
- There are very busy roads through these towns and it is essential that there be proper traffic calming measures put in place.
- To give a second example, it could stop the spread of road humps and other so-called traffic calming measures.
- There will also be an update from highways on proposed traffic calming measures and highways improvements in the area.
- It calls for traffic calming measures to be introduced to slow down speeding drivers on the Skipton estate.
- He promises traffic calming to make the area more welcoming for families.
- Views on traffic calming measures for a busy area in Swindon are being sought.
- I am writing to you about the draconian road traffic calming measures currently being installed in Woodmansterne Road.
- She said they were now looking at possibly installing CCTV, improved lighting and traffic calming measures.
- In the meantime, he is confident, temporary traffic calming measures will be in place within the next few weeks.
- Hull Road desperately needs speed cameras or some other traffic calming measure and has done for some time.
- The chairperson also told the meeting that traffic calming measures were to be introduced in College Park.
- Residents are campaigning for traffic calming measures on a road where a four-year-old boy was killed.
- Objectors to traffic calming measures at Burley Woodhead have been slammed by councillors who say the scheme is a vital for safety.
- One or two things could be better but, on the whole, I'm happy to accept the tedium which traffic calming measures bring.
- Illuminated signs and traffic calming measures have been used effectively in other areas of the country for many years.
- He called for the dangerous stretch of road to become a slow speed zone or for traffic calming measures to be introduced there.
- Residents are protesting against council plans to install traffic calming measures on their doorsteps.
- Members heard there was not enough money in the budget to provide a zebra crossing, traffic calming and speed limits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.