In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There was something about his eyes that made Robin feel wary of him, the eyes of someone deceitful and traitorous.
- But this was not a reference to their obvious eating and drinking habits - rather to the traitorous porkers found in George Orwell's Animal Farm.
- I apologize to anyone if my traitorous words have offended.
- The treatment of faithless lovers and traitorous informers in outlaw lore suggests that not all Irish images of themselves were entirely positive.
- However, I am beginning to think traitorous thoughts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.