In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- All of which means the resort might as well build a new tram.
- Towns and cities considering tram schemes yesterday attacked Government indecision and demanded clear guidelines on what Ministers were prepared to pay for.
- The horse-drawn trams covered the distance in forty five minutes, and the faster steam trams took twenty five minutes.
- Bus tickets, tram passes, shopping lists, bits of paper - just like mine!
- Eight new trams are also to be brought onto the network as well as improvements for the disabled.
- A covered walkway will link the bus waiting area and tram stop platform.
- Electric trams and buses and a new underground system would be the envy of many western cities.
- The developments will allow drivers to park their cars and to board trams.
- She was born in 1899 when horse-drawn trams still trundled through the streets of Southampton.
- Locals use strips of tickets which they stamp on board the tram.
- The 16-year-old girl boarded the tram in Manchester and travelled to Bury.
- There are about 42 million trips a year on the existing tram network.
- He said: ‘Extending the tram network is something we support in principle.’
- London Mayor Ken Livingstone recently gave a provisional thumbs-up to a tram link extension to Crystal Palace.
- The first step will be the upgrade of the existing line and purchase of new trams.
- Preston could have a tram network within a decade, according to council chiefs.
- She pointed out that at present it takes only 20 minutes to get to Manchester by train from Rochdale, but would take longer by tram.
- (I caught a tram to work this morning and it only took 20 minutes!
- But we're also seeing lots more shoppers using the bus, tram and train as a convenient and welcome way of coming into our town.
- The collision happened as the tracks cross yards from the tram stop.
2(in mine)vagoneta femenino
- We were then issued rubber boots and hard hats and were taken several thousand feet into the mine, where we got off the tram to look at one of the orebodies.
- Paddy who was a former miner was delighted with the birthday cake, in the shape of an old tram full of coal.
- The stone was placed on a small cart or flat tram and rolled under the frame and locked in place.
- The tram was built to carry coal from the immediately adjacent coal mine to a row of beehive coking ovens and thence to the smelter furnaces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.