In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We honor Ralph Waldo Emerson, but where does Transcendentalism figure in anybody's life today?
- Emerson's Transcendentalism drew on German idealism and English pastoral poetry.
- Thoreau's collection of essays reflects the philosophy of American Transcendentalism in practice.
- Emerson's ‘The Transcendentalist’ stands as a manifesto of this philosophical movement, in which he explicitly identifies Transcendentalism as a form of philosophical Idealism.
- As such, taking many cues from Transcendentalism (a movement started in the early 19th century) I don't think any oaths are necessary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.