In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Políticatratado masculinotrade/peace treaty — tratado comercial/de paz
- to enter into a treaty — suscribir un tratado
- the Treaty of Rome — el Tratado de Roma
- So I asked Justice Kirby his view about international human rights covenants and treaties.
- Would we not have to look to the treaty or convention upon which the legislation is based?
- At that time there was no extradition treaty between this country and Bulgaria.
- The treaty is very clear; the treaty must be ratified by the last day of December next year.
- On this basis, therefore, I propose that you should agree to give treaties precedence over later statutes.
- Germany, which has ratified the treaty in parliament, also wants to see it survive.
- There religious rights continued to be governed by international law, the treaty of Westphalia.
- This is an International treaty ratified by all the people on this island and there is no other show in town.
- Technically, as all 25 member states must ratify the treaty for it to take effect, it is dead.
- The two leaders agreed in September to continue efforts to conclude the treaty by the end of the year.
- The same is true of treaties and other international agreements, and it is only fair.
- The prince represents Monaco in its foreign relations and signs and ratifies treaties.
- The biggest nightmare of parties to these treaties is that a treaty partner will sign up but cheat.
- He's already promised to hold a referendum on the treaty if his party is elected.
- He left the rich countries free to strike individual treaties with their weaker trading partners.
- Doing so would smash parliament's claim to ratify or reject treaties.
- The terms of the treaty are presumed to have the same meaning in each authentic text.
- Now, the Convention on the Rights of the Child is a treaty that Australia is a party to.
- We have also mentioned a number of treaties providing for grounds of jurisdiction over international crimes.
- It is not the treaty but the statute which forms part of English law.
2Britanico(agreement)to sell sth by private treaty — vender algo mediante acuerdo privado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.